Retrospect sold to Roxio...

The beta is not going to happen this week.

I'm very please we've got the new name locked-in: MyRetrospectPro EasyNowBackupCreator Titanium 2012. The marketing team is having a bit of trouble with the logo. Specifically we aren't sure what colour to make the floating cube. One person wants to change it to a sphere but it just doesn't roll with the rest of the team. We've engaged a creative agency to do a market survey and strategic communications plan to work aspects of branding.

Also, laser printer ran out of paper and the we discovered the tea lady hadn't ordered extra paper stock. So the documentation writing team are now a bit behind. We've got a fabulous bit of software called IShowU to make a couple of videos on how to perform a simple VXA-2 backup.

You must understand this delay isn't the fault of the programming team or the technical support team.

We truly, really, sincerely fingers-crossed hope that there will be no more delays. I wont give another estimate of actual release date. I don't want to get your hopes up. I can tell you we have internal estimates but I'm not going to tell you. No mater how much you ask, I'm not going to say "next week". I will however say "We're getting very close to the 8.2 beta release. Expecting another week or two. Watch here for the announcement." in the http://twitter.com/Roxioretrospect feed

Despite Dantz no longer owning MyRetrospectPro EasyNowBackupCreator Titanium 2012 for several years you can use this forum to vent your frustrations about Retrosepct vapourware.

To everyone who purchased Annual Software Maintenance and got an unusable product now nearly 12 months old... sorry.

We hope Apple doesn't announce Mac OS X 10.7 at WWDC next week – we've almost got MyRetrospectPro EasyNowBackupCreator Titanium 2012 working with Mac OS 10.6!

Don't expect MyRetrospectPro EasyNowBackupCreator Titanium 2013 to be able to read MyRetrospectPro EasyNowBackupCreator Titanium 2012 catalogs or tape media.

I'm trying to give you as much information as possible. More news as it comes to hand. Thank you for cutting us some slacks.

Senior Vice Executive of the Tech Support Team,

Retro-Babble and Forum Controller

(Too mean? It is a tough world out there)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just in, over on Twitter the team is now expecting another 1 or 2 week delay. I think I'm going to end up winning the closest to the hole contest.

Yep. Awesome timing on the change to Roxio. Don't just put the *beta* out there as is...let's take another 3 weeks to make sure we don't accidentally utter the letters "E-M-C" anywhere. The percentage of error in time estimation here is staggering. Estimate is initially "next week"...which then becomes the week after...which then becomes 2 weeks more. So, 1 week to 4...that's about 300% wrong, is it not??

For the love of God, please release *something*...I'm tired of force-quitting the console app multiple times a day because it is so unsophisticated that it cannot handle sleep properly.

Will you extend people's Annual Software Maintenance or will they have to pay for another year?

Is the current title a work in progress or will that be the official title since it one of the longest title I have ever seen? Also has anybody made sure that the long title does not cause problems in the program?

As for the icon since it is a beta why does it need to be changed unless EMC owns the rights? My suggestion is to make the cube silver to represent the Titanium part of the title.

Will you extend people's Annual Software Maintenance or will they have to pay for another year?

Is the current title a work in progress or will that be the official title since it one of the longest title I have ever seen? Also has anybody made sure that the long title does not cause problems in the program?

As for the icon since it is a beta why does it need to be changed unless EMC owns the rights? My suggestion is to make the cube silver to represent the Titanium part of the title.

Uhhh........I think you need to read Sam's post again.... ;)

Daniels,

The name of the product is Retrospect. It it will not change. Please understand that posts by USERS in this forum are not statements from Roxio or Sonic Solutions. User's are venting....

Sam and others.... Please take the venting and comments that are resulting in user confusion to another forum going forward.

Thanks

Hi!

While Retrospect is 'in transition' does anybody know what the story is with support? The website has now been updated to reflect the new owners, but all of the content still redirects to EMC. As you would expect, the e-mail address I had for my technical support contact is now bouncing, so I need to know what we are supposed to do?

The reason I need to talk to them is that I am looking to get a temporary license code for the Windows version, as that is the only version that backs up my Mac servers at a respectable pace. I had hoped that the Mac beta would have been out by now, but no such luck, so I need to stick with the Windows version until it arrives. Of course, if somebody wanted to PM me the latest work in progress, this would also be fine!

Cheers, Chris W.

This was a great read. By far my favorite post.

Robin,

Most of us understand and respect your position. My advice (whether you want it or not) dont change anything you do. Your consistency is very positive for some of us.

Also dont get mad at comments like the one from samvenning. It put a smile on my face. And sometime soon this will all be a memory, as team members like you drive this product home.

Im out...Gotta rebuild my catalogs and download the new Pre-Release.

Edited by Guest

Hi!

I have a temporary license code, but it has expired. I will try downloading again to get another one, but if this doesn't work then I will probably need another solution until the Mac beta is finally released.

Incidentally, I tried calling technical support 3 times on the number on this page for New Zealand: http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/service/contact/softwareinformation/

I got the message of all of EMC representatives are busy, please try again later. Along with the bouncing e-mails, it is kind of frustrating!

Cheers, Chris W.

They supposedly just finished the Read Me for 8.2b. Let's hope to whatever thing/person/deity/object you worship we get the beta TOMORROW. I'm going on nearly 2 weeks without a successful backup on our ******* file server. I don't like playing with fire and I'm fed up at this point.

Is there a place online where we can obtain meaningful/official information regarding the status of maintenance contracts as well as release dates of upcoming versions? Sorry but I'm pretty busy and sorting through the rants and wise-cracks just to get this information is very time-consuming.

Sorry but I'm pretty busy and sorting through the rants and wise-cracks just to get this information is very time-consuming.

Of course, Robin's given you the definitive answer.

However, if you simply want to know when updates have been released, and other important information, you might want to subscribe to the retro-talk email list. It's rather low bandwidth, and has fewer novices than these forums. Can save you time. Link is here:

Retrospect Mailing Lists

Russ

Sorry, "list.emcinsignia.com" does not exist or could not be found....

Looks like you wandered off into the weeds. I was unable to figure out how that might have happened however.

Russ suggested you join the "retro-talk" email list. So, following the link he gave, simply click on the second "click here" link found on that page (in the section labeled "Retro-Talk ListServer).

You can also get to the Retro-talk sign-up from the first section of that same page. There are additional mailing lists there that may be of interest.

Glenn

Seems to me like the release is still on track:

Retrospect tweet of June 1 - one or two more weeks

I'd rather the beta release be solid, well-tested, and with documentation so that the beta testers won't be wasting their time shaking out those last few issues before full release.

I don't know about you, but it's a pretty big investment of my time to shake out a release before production deployment. While we are a very tiny outfit, our data has great value.

I, for one, am very pleased and encouraged to see that this release seems to be done right with proper procedures. It's not trivial to make a release like this, in multiple languages, with documentation, for such a complex product, complicated by a sale of the company right before the release. I'm sure that it takes time to revise the T-shirts, too...

Russ

Seems to me like the release is still on track:

Retrospect tweet of June 1 - one or two more weeks

Well..."on track" for the most recent round of delays maybe. It's been "imminent" for months now, yet still nothing.

I'd rather the beta release be solid, well-tested, and with documentation so that the beta testers won't be wasting their time shaking out those last few issues before full release.

I'd like to see it well-tested, too, but frankly, what we have now is ALPHA software, so just about any beta that doesn't crash immediately upon launch will be an improvement.

It's not trivial to make a release like this, in multiple languages, with documentation, for such a complex product, complicated by a sale of the company right before the release.

Sure...which is all the more reason to *not* wait forever and a day trying to fix ALL the problems at once while your customers wonder if there is anyone actually working on the project at all, or if they're being strung along indefinitely. I keep saying it-- quit trying to fix everything in one fell swoop and start releasing smaller updates to address a few issues at a time.

FT

I'd like to see it well-tested, too, but frankly, what we have now is ALPHA software, so just about any beta that doesn't crash immediately upon launch will be an improvement.

You seem to have competing and inconsistent metrics.

(1) you want it reliable, and

(2) you want it now.

Pick one. I vote for reliable.

Russ

You seem to have competing and inconsistent metrics.

(1) you want it reliable, and

(2) you want it now.

Pick one. I vote for reliable.

Russ

Hahaha...good one! Yeah, I'm definitely being overly impatient. Expecting serious flaws to a *paid* version of the program to be patched in 7 months (and counting) since the last release shows definite haste. How silly of me.

So, if your vote is for "reliable", I take it you're using Retrospect 6 on Panther or something?

So, if your vote is for "reliable", I take it you're using Retrospect 6 on Panther or something?

Retrospect 6.1 on Tiger for production use. Retrospect 8.1 is not ready for production use, at least at our firm. I have an isolated testbed set up for 8.x testing. When Retrospect 8 becomes reliable, we will upgrade all of our computers, but not until then.

Russ