Retrospect sold to Roxio...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retrospect is now a Roxio/Sonic Solutions product. Along with that are the Retrospect support engineers, product developers and QA staff. This includes Eric Ullman, Laurie Gill and the other longterm names you all know.

Being part of Roxio is very exciting for all of us. We are looking forward to a larger QA and engineering team, a larger webteam, more tech support engineers and a great batch of new coworkers.

Customers can expect new releases of Retrospect at an even higher quality. The product roadmap and release schedules are unchanged. We are still planning a public beta of Retrospect 8.2 for Macintosh (hopefully next week).

Everyone on the Retrospect team is super excited to be part of Sonic Solutions and if we are excited, we know it will be good for the customers too.

Robin Mayoff

Senior Manager, Technical Support

Roxio Retrospect

PS: Retro-talk and the forum will continue as it always has.

Retro-talk and the forum will continue as it always has.

what is retro-talk? is this an official resource?

i've been monitoring:

the retrospect dev blog. http://retrospective.typepad.com/ (mostly inactive in the last few months)

this forum. (mostly quiet for 3-4 months since the last 8.x release)

the retrospect bug report branch of this forum.

the retrospect kb section on v8 for the mac. http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.5073816

I guess EMC bit off more than they could chew.

I hope you get the enterprise level support from the Roxio executive board that you need. Roxio has always seemed a bit consumer...

Whatever you do, please don't pull an Apple and abandon all your power users for millions of ipod consumers.

Edited by Guest

Robin, you've been saying Retrosepct 8.2 "next week" for the last few weeks. And now you are doing it again in this thread. How about *stop* over promising? Just give up on mentioning a release time frame. It would be much better customer relations to *under promise* and *over deliver*. I'm very frustrated. There are several of Retrospect users getting really frustrated by the misleading communications from you. Are the Retrospect team aware you keep doing this? If not then you are doing them a disservice. If they are aware, it also reflects on them. I'd like to say I'm sorry for this little outburst... but I feel it has got to the point where I can be assertive on this point.

Robin, you've been saying Retrosepct 8.2 "next week" for the last few weeks. And now you are doing it again in this thread. How about *stop* over promising? Just give up on mentioning a release time frame. It would be much better customer relations to *under promise* and *over deliver*. I'm very frustrated. There are several of Retrospect users getting really frustrated by the misleading communications from you. Are the Retrospect team aware you keep doing this? If not then you are doing them a disservice. If they are aware, it also reflects on them. I'd like to say I'm sorry for this little outburst... but I feel it has got to the point where I can be assertive on this point.

Sam, let's cut the Retrospect group, and especially Robin, some slack.

I've never been accused of being a Retrospect fanboy but, having been through sales of several high tech companies for which I worked and managed engineering groups in my youth, I've seen the glitch that happens when this occurs.

And lets get real - Robin wasn't out negotiating the deal with Sonic / Roxio on behalf of EMC on his own, and was probably as much in the dark about the backroom dealings as you and I are. Robin has been remarkably positive for years, and that's a good thing. Lesser people would have walked away. His job, and the job of the Retrospect team, is to get a reliable and competitive product out the door. Let's cut him and the Retrospect team some slack while they do that.

Russ

Robin has been remarkably positive for years, and that's a good thing. Lesser people would have walked away. His job, and the job of the Retrospect team, is to get a reliable and competitive product out the door. Let's cut him and the Retrospect team some slack while they do that.

Russ

I believe that every current user of Retrospect 8 has already cut plenty of slack, just to use the product. I think it fair to vent some of the frustration, just so the new management knows the critical nature of what they are inheriting. There's no more slack to give, at the user end of things - RS8 needs to improve, just to hang onto its remaining market share.

I do agree with your assessment of the diplomat that Robin is. Unfortunately, despite his persistent positivity, part of the job of a diplomat is to absorb the enemy's venom, and pass it along to those capable of changing policies.

All I can do is giving you the info I have at the moment I type my forum posts. One thing I don't do is BS. I gave the info I have. I want this beta out more then you do. As the guy who answers the phone, I want the phone calls to reduce with the release of 8.2, and I know they will.

I have to agree with Russ, Tree, and Robin.

There is nothing Robin can do if he is not giving the correct information. Being a programmer I run into this issue where something takes longer than expected or one fix breaks another feature.

Tree is also correct that we need to vent our frustration about the product. I am sure Robin is relying our frustrations to the higher ups and that is the best we can ask for. If the higher ups are not listening to our frustrations then we have no right to take it out on Robin.

Edited by Guest

After careful analysis, I have a product name suggestion to celebrate the acquisition of Retrospect by Sonic.

How about, "MyRetrospectPro EasyNowBackupCreator Titanium 2012, featuring backup to VHS (Betamax coming soon)" ?

I really hope they don't axe the whole thing again. It's just starting to get interesting again.

Not that it will make much of a difference in my installation, but is the Roxio acquisition of Retrospect just for the Mac version or have they acquired the PC side of Retrospect as well? I remember early discussions that the Mac version was laying the groundwork for the next revision of the Windows application, has this changed? How will companies with mixed environments maintain support if the Mac and Windows versions diverge and are split between Roxio and EMC? Will there be a revelation as to what to expect from Roxio or EMC?

My demo license for the Windows server version runs out on 30 May, so I am hoping that this beta is out this week...

Mid-week already and not even a hint about the Beta on the new Twitter feed. I believe I'd wager we won't see it this week...but who knows-- maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised-- er, "shocked."

Beta is not going to happen this week. It does appear we fixed the last show stopper bug in the last few days, but because we are no longer EMC, we have to change the branding in Retrospect prior to the beta release. That has added what is hopefully a final delay. I won't give you another estimated beta date because the forum community just gets too upset when I am wrong. Even though I have internal estimates, I will no longer share.

Thanks for the update Robin. Hopefully its just a few graphics here and a few lines of trademark code there.

FIND ALL and REPLACE

find: EMC

replace with: ROXIO

execute!

Hah! That's what I was hoping for too. Unfortunately there are also several hyperlinks, tech documents, .chm files, and sneaky graphics that we need to manually find.

However we have made some good headway already.

[color:red]01000101 01001101 01000011[/color]

01010010 01000101 01010100 01010010

01001111 01010011 01010000 01000101

01000011 01010100

Retrospect QA

You might want to put your "signature" on the list, too. Don't forget to move over the dantz.com and retrospect.com domain names.

Just make it part of the beta bug reporting process to report lingering EMC tidbits. The Retrospect community has been pretty good about reporting bugs thus far.

Russ