Retrospect 7.5 Released

Mayoff

OK, I guess I'm enough of a noob that I'll ask the obvious: If I have Retrospect Professional for Windows 7.0, am I entitled to the 7.5 release for free ?

In other words, is this an "update" for me or an "upgrade" I must pay for ?

If so, where do I get it ? When I navigate to updates, there are nothing but old Macintosh updates and one OLD Windows client update.

Otherwise, do I simply download the trial version and then, after installing it, enter my 7.0 activation code ?

One thing that prevented us from adopting Retrospect for corporate backup was the

fact that R7 required a logged-in user session and was not able to run as a service.

I don't see this as an enhancement in 7.5, so I'll ask:

Can R7.5 run as a service without requiring a logged-in session?

I guess I need to be clearer about my question.

With R7 in order to have Retrospect running to respond to client requests at all, you had

to start Retrospect in a terminal session and then disconnect. There was no way to

get Retrospect to run fully in the background, or start up automatically without

needing manual intervention each time the server was rebooted.

The requirement is for Retrospect to start up by itself, on server reboot, without

manual intervention. Is this possible, and if so, how?

We purchased 7.0 in November, 2005. So, we're probably past any possible free upgrade period. However, 7.5 was announced on February 6th. You're telling me that if I had bought 7.0 on Feb 5th I'd still be SOL? That must go over well. Since DanRidley never got a posted reply to his question of a free update based upon a 1/24 purchase, I'm guessing there's some hidden policy of assuaging disgruntled recent purchasers. I can't find a recent purchase upgrade policy anywhere on the site. Why not be explicit? You'd think you could at least muster a 30-day policy.

Quote:

Since DanRidley never got a posted reply to his question of a free update based upon a 1/24 purchase, I'm guessing there's some hidden policy of assuaging disgruntled recent purchasers.

Come on; it'd only been a couple of hours since I'd posted. It's perfectly reasonable that the reply isn't immediate to a forum post on a Friday afternoon...

• 3 weeks later...

Any general percentages available on the "Greatly improved performance when backing up Windows file servers"? Speeding up the snapshot creation speed would be the biggest factor in our decision to upgrade, since we're currently at 9.5 hours nightly for all of the snapshots under 6.5.

Hi

I don't have a number for you but this may help:

In 6.5 and 7.0, Retrospect has to open every single file on disk to collect security information to build the snapshot. This happens regardless of if you are doing a full or incremental backup.

Retrospect 7.5 only needs to open new and changed files when creating the snapshot. Obviously that will drop the snapshot creation time dramatically.

I've talked to people who went from 9 hours to 3. Your mileage may vary but it will be _much_ faster. FWIW Matching is much faster too.

Thanks

Nate

• 1 month later...

We have just upgraded to 7.5, In the installation instructions it brefly covers the distribution of the client software via group policy.

Has anyone got this to work and if so what were the steps you used?

Are there any documents for a typical roll out using AD. GP.

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If you have a library with multiple tape drives you can utilize them by having multiple backup sets available as destinations for different scripts.

Basically, you cannot write one source to several drives simultaneously, but you can run multiple executions. You will need the advanced tape support add-on to do this.

• 3 months later...

Archived