Dantz launches Retrospect 6.0 for Macintosh

DANTZ LAUNCHES RETROSPECT 6.0, THE NEW BENCHMARK FOR MACINTOSH BACKUPS

Now Protects Mac OS X “Panther” and Xserve RAID, Breaks Terabyte Limit

WALNUT CREEK, CA — Jan. 06, 2004 — Dantz® Development Corp. today announces Retrospect® 6.0, the latest version of the number one backup and restore software for the Macintosh®. Retrospect 6.0 now protects Power Mac G4 and G5 computers running Mac OS X “Panther,” backs up Xserve RAIDs hosting multiple terabytes of data, and supports SCSI and Fibre Channel tape libraries.

"Dantz was one of the first backup and restore software vendors to support Mac OS X and we are pleased about the release of Retrospect 6.0," said Ron Okamoto, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. "Retrospect 6.0 delivers a reliable and easy to use solution for Mac users who take advantage of the massive storage density and incredible performance of XServe RAID."

“Retrospect 6.0 is the culmination of nearly two decades of industry-leading innovation and refinement based on the real-world needs of our customers,” said Tony Barbagallo, VP of Worldwide Marketing at Dantz Development Corp. “With this release, Dantz continues our proud history of protecting the creative intellectual property of Macintosh users.”

Business professionals and home users will benefit from the advanced features of Retrospect 6.0:

• No limit to the size of volumes that can be backed up or the amount of data stored in a Backup Set. There is no longer a terabyte limit.

• Support for most SCSI and Fibre Channel tape libraries including features such as import/export, barcode inventory, and more than 128 storage slots.

• Improved user interface to manage drives, tapes, and cleaning tapes.

• Backups to disks can span multiple FireWire or USB hard drives.

• The Retrospect 6.0 product CD also includes Retrospect 5.1 for backing up to a Mac OS 9 computer.

What Sets Retrospect Apart

Retrospect is distinguished by its ease of use and its ability to automatically adjust backup operations when protecting networked computers, saving valuable time for backup administrators. Unlike other backup software, Retrospect can perform incremental backups to save time while avoiding flawed restores that incorrectly return previously deleted, renamed and moved files and folders. And Retrospect significantly simplifies the creation and rotation of onsite and offsite sets of backup media to protect against disasters.

Availability and Pricing

Retrospect 6.0 will be available in English as an electronic download on January 26, 2004. The boxed product will be in the channel and in Apple stores by mid-February. Dantz Retrospect 6.0 for Macintosh is available in three editions:

• Retrospect Server – Backs up a local Macintosh computer and 100 networked clients, which can include servers. Suggested list price $799. Upgrades are $349.

• Retrospect Workgroup – Backs up a local Macintosh computer and 20 networked desktop or notebook clients. Suggested list price $499. Upgrades are $199.

• Retrospect Desktop – Backs up one local Macintosh desktop or notebook computer and two networked desktops or notebook clients. Suggested list price $129. Upgrades are $59.95.

Client licenses for additional computers and client upgrades are available for Retrospect 6.0, as are Annual Support and Maintenance contracts, which provide unlimited technical support and complimentary upgrades. Customers who have already purchased Annual Support and Maintenance will receive Retrospect 6.0 at no additional cost.

Does Retrospect 6.0 fix the problem where the Retrospect Client software only uses the primary or first network interface?

The four computers to be backed up are all on one sub-net, but I have a problem when airport cards are enabled, or a software router is running on one of the clients, and the lan interface is not first in the list of interfaces.

Checking the Knowledge Base, I see that the Windows Client supports selecting the interface. I am hoping for the same on the Macintosh.

Glenn

Quote:

Mayoff said:

Yes, we have made changes which allow Retro to seek out the needed network interface.

Okay...this is cool, but on it is my Windows client that has been an issue for me..I see a post above that WIndows client can select the network interface..true? If so, nobody has told me so......and I have posted and asked for solutions with machines that have more then one network interface active.

-Ric

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

On win2K/NT/XP you can bind the client to an IP address with:

C:\program files\dantz\client\retroclient -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Xs are the IP address.

Thanks

Nate

We use DDHCP at dartmouth (sorry forgot to include that bit of info), so this will not work.

-Ric

Quote:

natew said:

Hi,

The windows client should bind to all interfaces. How many interfaces are on these problem machines? Can you give some more details?

Thanks

Nate

Two....one wireless, one ethernet. Retrospect does bind to both...that is the problem, the retro client broadcasts or annouces itself over both and the backup machine sees a conflict with the client because of it. The only way I have been able to solve it is by using hardware profiles which our users hate.....

I would like to have retrospect only be available via the ethernet...

-Ric

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

This used to work with the old client but I haven't tried it lately:

Try specifying the _network_ address with the retroclient -ip command. Assuming the Wireless nics are on a different subnet that could solve the problem.

nate

Same Subnet...

-Ric

Because of the major changes to backup set formats as well as other areas of the product, I am hoping these issues will be reduced.

Every user who gets an elem.c-817 could get it for a totally different reason, so until you try 6.0 we won't know if it has fixed it for you or not. A free trial will be available when the product ships.

Archived