Retrospect 5.1, G5, and DAT drive

Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to fix it?

I just installed Retrospect 5.1 (with 5.1 scsi update) on a new PowerMac G5. Backup and restore to DVD works fine. Backup to tape works as long as it is done in one single session. If Retrospect is quit and restarted, I get Catalog out of sync errors. Catalog update existing hangs without ever accessing the tape drive. Complete rebuild of catalog from tape is extremely slow due to Backup set format inconsistency errors and Bad backup set header errors (causing Resynchronizing...slow messages). However, if backup was done in one session, Restore works fine if no additional backups are attempted to that tape set.

Configuration:

1.8 GHz PowerMac G5

1 GB RAM

Mac OS X 10.2.8 (G5)

Adaptec 29160 PCI LVD SCSI card (latest driver from Adaptec)

Sony SDT-11000 DDS4 DAT tape drive (LVD SCSI)

Retrospect 5.1.175 with 5.1 SCSI update, RDU 4.1.109

I have worked with Sony technicians using Sony OS X tape diagnostics and have verified that the tape is being written and read (using Sony diagnostics) without any errors (soft, hard, or retrys), so I am down to believing that the error is in Retrospect. Since the backup can be restored without error if the backup was made in one session, I am guessing that the problem lies in the code that checks catalog and compares it to the tape. Any suggestions would be appreciated. - Joe

Hi

I just checked adaptec's site and I don't see anything about G5 support. Atto released a new driver just to be compatible and Dantz had to release an update for that as well. My hunch is that the adapter driver is not going to work with your new G5

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Adaptec just changed their site to say that, after some (minimal) testing of the 29160, 39160, 29160N on both G5 and Panther (independently), they found no new issues. That seems to confirm what I originally posted after running Sony tape drive diagnostics... This appears to be a Retrospect driver problem.

I agree that Adaptec may not have tested the 29160 with tape drives yet. However, the fact that Sony tape drive diagnostics (software apps run on G5, accessing tape drive through 29160) run without error indicates fairly good compatibility of the 29160 with both the G5 and this tape drive. By the way, the Sony diagnostics run for 30 minutes or more, transferring gigabytes of data to and from the tape drive. - Joe

• 1 month later...

I posted this elsewhere, but...

Panther installs the *1.1* driver for the Adaptec 29160 and 39160 cards.

Even if you upgrade from Jaguar with the 1.2 drivers -- Panther will replace them with 1.1.

You might check to make sure you have the 1.2 drivers. If not, you can get them from Adaptec's web site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived