Duplicating files on OS X question/problem

I have a Macintosh running the latest version of OS X. I have created some scripts which duplicate my files to an external mounted hard drive. (I want to duplicate the files so I can simply copy them back if I need to.) This works fine.

I have a Macintosh computer on the network running Retrospect Remote and have configured a script to do the same thing.

However, when I check my backup of this other computer, I get a bunch of folders with with red -'s. Then, when I try to open the folders I get the error message, "The folder "xxx" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

TIA

Hi,

If you "Get Info" on the external drive that you're duplicating to, you should be able to find a checkbox marked "Ignore ownership and permissions on this drive." This should prevent files from retaining their original security attributes when written to that drive.

The error message says it all. The account you are using to look at the folders on "this other computer" does not have sufficient access privileges to access the folders. Retrospect preserves UIDs and permissions. Were these accounts made as local Netinfo accounts on each computer, or do you have an OD server handing out Network Home Directories, etc.? Are these POSIX permissions on these disks or have you turned on ACLs? Have you changed the default umask? You don't say what version of OS is on "this other computer" - what is it? Do any of your volumes have "Ignore ownership on this volume" checked?

Short answer, it's working as expected and as designed. You've got a choice. Either to respect permissions (remember, this is Unix) or not. Which do you want to do? Provide some info and we might be able to suggest some courses of action.

russ

Quote:

what exactly is "Retrospect Remote"?

Oh, Walt, you have just made me feel very old. Dantz used to sell (about Retrospect 2.x or 3.x) a package of remote clients (the floppy plus a bunch of license codes). You would buy "Retrospect" plus a "Retrospect Remote" package to get today's equivalent of Retrospect Workgroup. That's why I worded my above response the way I did - there's a possibility that "this other computer" is an OS 7/8/9 computer or even ASIP. Not enough info to answer.

sigh. you youngsters.

Russ

Thank you one and all for your comments. Sorry about the Retrospect Remote comment. I don't remember the current terminology, but it is a Retrospect utility(?) that get's installed on network machines so that Retrospect will back them up without their being mounted to the desktop.

OK, I see the "Ignore ownership on this volume" check box on my backup hard drive. It was checked. Do I want it checked or unchecked?

As for my specifics, all the machines are "my domain." In other words, I am the administrator for all of them and I can change any settings on them that I like. So, what settings do I need to change to get the ability to duplicate files on my backup from both my computer and the network computers?

Thanks.

Sorry if it wasn't clear what I was asking, but it appears from your comments that you don't have any centralized password server, etc., doing centralized login management. So you are using the local Netinfo database on each computer for login, and you have separately made the same user/password entries on each machine. In this case, one of two things is happening.

(1) The username/UID (User ID) numbers don't match on the different computers, and you are trying to use username "fred" on one computer (with UID xxx) to access files belonging to "fred" on the other (with UID yyy); or

(2) Username "fred" is being prevented from accessing files belonging to "mary" on the computer. Might make mary unhappy if fred could do so.

You might also want "fred" and "mary" to be members of a common "group" and have certain permission rights as members of the group. Apple and I differ as to what the "right" way is to do this; Apple's standard setup is more along the traditional Unix setup, which is more appropriate for a business where you want permission rights enforced, and they have the standard "umask" (default permissions) set to allow full permission by the user/owner, but only read permission for group members and only read permission for others. For a home setup, the default umask should probably be full permission for user and group, read permission for others. To fix this problem and change the umask to 2 (from 22), see this article here:

umask 2 article which pretty much just adds Code:

<key>NSUmask</key>

<integer>2</integer>

to /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist (need to do on each computer)

which gives read/write access to both group and user, read-only access to others.

And, if you DO want access to those blocked folders, you can use terminal to do the magic command:

Code:

sudo chmod ug+w *

when viewing the forbidden folders in Terminal. You can do

Code:

ls -al *

to see the current permissions.

If you do check the "Ignore Ownership" box for a volume, then you will run "wide open" for permissions and can access anything - pretty much the old OS 7/8/9 model - which may or may not be what you want (consider the possibility of whether this makes it easier for viruses to have their way with your files, or for you to accidentally delete something important).

Finally, if you do care whether the UIDs for each user are the same on each computer, that's a bit more complicated. The easiest way is to create the user accounts in the same order on each computer. You can browse (and change, if you know what you are doing) the UIDs, usernames, groups, GIDs (group IDs), etc., using

/Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager

Enjoy. Life is a learning experience. Take a drink of water from the fire hose.

russ

Archived