Authentication Failure

RobHoglund

I am having an issue backing up SQL Server databases with version 6.5 for Small Business Server. The backup will run fine for several days, then unexpectedly the backup of SQL Server fails stating it cannot access the database (error -1221). I try to edit the script and access the database, but when it prompts me for user id and password for Windows authentication, it still cannot access the database. User id and password are valid, I can access the database outside Retrospect. Only solution is to reboot the server. This solves the problem temporarily, but after several days I get the same error.

Any ideas?

Hi

What OS are you running this on? My guess is that it is an authentication failure for the Retrospect backup user.

Have you created the Retrospect backup user account or are you using the admin account in the Retrospect security preferences?

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate.

I am running Windows Small Business Server 2003, i.e. Windows Server 2003.

I have not created the Retrospect backup user account as I was using the Administrator account.

What I don't understand is why it would work for several days then just stop. Checked all the event logs and nothing jumps out at me that would indicate a failure. The Administrator account can still get at the databases, just not through Retrospect.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Hi

I had an exchange install go bad like this in the same way once. I had to run the exchange installer again to get it sorted out.

You might want to try starting Retrospect with clean settings files to see if that helps. Just move the config65.dat and config65.bak files to your desktop.

These files are normally located in documents and settings\all users\application data\Retrospect.

Thanks

Nate

• 3 months later...

Hi,

If you have a specific username and password(different from the one you use to authenticate in Windows) for SQL, you should make sure that the SQL user account is included in the Windows Active directory and user interface and that this user belong to the Domain admin group.If your SQL user is not in the Windows user admin group, you won't have access to that SQL server for backup.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived