SCSI Bus Reset w/ Beige G3

First, let me say that the Support Options are totally unacceptable if you're having a problem performing an upgrade - ESPECIALLY if everything worked perfectly under 4.3.

After a pretty unhappy upgrade process, I got everything working. Unfortunately, Retrospect 5 for OS/X isn't working as well as 4.3 (if at all). Periodically it looks like the entire SCSI bus resets and Retrospect says that it is having "Trouble Writing Media." I can't tell if this is happening at the end of filling a tape or just randomly. The systems has NOT rolled-over to a new tape successfully yet. I DO know that it is happening on two separate, identically configured computers, so it is not a hardware failure on one of the computers.

As of right now, I am unable to get acceptable backup performance and am unsure if what I am getting is even useable. This configuration worked PERFECTLY under Retrospect 4.3 for over two years.

Computer: Beige G3 PowerMac

Retrospect: Latest Update (205)

Drives: Sony DAT DDS3 SDT9000

Drives are connected to the PowerMac external SCSI connector, daisy chained, and terminated correctly.

Please give me a fix IMMEDIATELY. I've already laid-out multiple thousands of dollars for this upgrade.

I just had this error after 287.7 MB of data was backed-up. So, I have to conclude that it isn't just getting stuck finding an empty tape - it's resetting the SCSI bus randomly.

I'm still waiting for a solution to this....

Unless you are using a card that's on the supported list under OS X, your configuration is not supported. This includes the built-in SCSI in the beige G3.

Sorry for your frustration.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

I wish Dantz would have a note to this effect in the SCSI card compatibility list. I checked that list before I bought my upgrade, but I assumed they were talking about 3rd party cards, not manufacturer-installed cards. I don't think that was an unreasonable assumption.

Steve Buyske

Hi,

Actually the SCSI card compatibility list was updated yesterday to indicate that we only support cards on the list. If you own a card that is not in the list, then it probably won't work with Retrospect at this time.

My point was that I think you might expect your customers to not realize that something from Apple might not be compatible. Why not explicitly say "Beige G3s with the Apple-installed card won't work. Installing one of these cards will take care of the problem." People in other threads have suggested the same thing.

Steve Buyske

I second that. I assumed that the card list was for third-party cards, not Apple-installed stuff (especially on-board SCSI).

I'm currently trying to get my money back but Dantz is holding it up because they believed they provided "support." The bottom line is that it doesn't work on my hardware - all Apple-branded.

-Jeff

I third that.

It is inherently understood by most people reading that list that Apple's built-in card would be supported and that the list is for those thrill seekers using third party cards.

The rediculous thing is that my tape drive shows up in Apple System Profiler, but Retro 5 just ignores it under OS X.

So is there a estimate for when the most popular SCSI port on the biege G3 will be supported? The port itself is fully supported under OS X as I run several disk drives and a scanner from the port on occasion.

Also, as suggested elsewhere, please post this information on that page:

NOTE! The built-in SCSI port on the beige G3 is not compatable with Retrospect at this time.

Archived