Scripts

kaikow

For over a year now, I've been running REtrospect using backup scripts on the Run menu. Each script does a full (Normal or Recycle) backup.

I also have a need to have scripts that backup only selected directories and files.

What is the easiest way to set up a script that backs up only identified directories and files?

Only thing I have found is something that uses "patterns" to identify the files.

That's not really satisfactory. Patterns are slow, as they have to search entire volumes, and, not desired,, as they can result in files being pulled in from other than the intended locations.

Needs is a selection mechanism, as with a Restore, that allows me to explicitly identify particular directories and files.

Quote:

To get just the specific directories, the easiest thing is to define those folders as subvolumes and add them as sources to the script.

A selector based on file name would look for very specific files. "File name matches exactly...."

I did not see a "File name matches exactly".

I'll look again

Quote:

Hi

You will need to make this selector yourself on the configure->selectors screen. The user guide has some basics on how its done in the selectors section.

Thanks

Nate

I undestood that, but that's not the problem.

The selectors seem to rely on pattern matching rules, which is not a cost effective way to construct such rules.

What is needed is a hierarchy in which I can check particular files and directories, just like for Restore.

The selector would include particular entire directories and, in some cases, particular files.

Pattern matching won't work as I often rename files within particular directories.

I do not recall ever seeing any other backup software that did not provide the mechanismI am seeking.

Hi Howard,

In a file selection window in Retrospect there is a "save highlights" button. That will take all of the files/folders you have selected and create a selector for you.

The only downside to this is that you have to recreate the selector any time you make changes to parent folders or filenames that you have specifically chosen.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi Howard,

In a file selection window in Retrospect there is a "save highlights" button. That will take all of the files/folders you have selected and create a selector for you.

The only downside to this is that you have to recreate the selector any time you make changes to parent folders or filenames that you have specifically chosen.

Thanks

Nate

If by "file selection" window, you mean the one that I can get to via Restore, that does not do the job as it allows me only to select files and directories that have already been backed up.

I'm looking for a selection screen like the one in Backup MyPC that allows me to check individual files and directories.

Looks like Retrospect is missing this fundamental capability.

Quote:

Hi Howard,

You can also get to that screen in a file selection window for Backup. That will let you select any file or folder on the drive.

Thanks

nate

How?

I've tried to get there via Backup, but have not yet found a way to get to the file selection window.

Quote:

Hi Howard

The "preview" button on the backup screen lets you select individual files and folders for backup. You will be able to use the save highlights feature there too.

Thanks

Nate

Thanx.

I had been using the "Selecting" button, as I wanted to "select", not "preview" files.

Archived