Retrospect problems - HELP!!!

clindsey

HELP!

I have Retrospect 6.5.336.0 running on Win2000. When trying to backup to tape (Sony LIB-81 AIT-3) it copies one file to tape, then absolutely nothing, just sits there. I have tried rebuilding scripts, restarting, but no luck...

Can anyone please help!

Thanks, Chad

OK - I have upgraded to Retro 6.5.350 and the latest drivers, but still no luck. It copies the first file to tape and then just sits... I tried replacing all of the tapes with new, restarting, etc...

This is causing a huge problem, anyone have more ideas?

.ps Win2K Server SP3

Thanks, Chad

Hi

Make sure to disable the tape drive and library in the Windows device manager. Otherwise you can get a driver conflict. What kind of SCSI card are you using? SCSI cards that are attached to RAID controllers don't usually work very well. It is best to have a seperate SCSI card for the tape drive.

Thanks

Nate

I have RSM disabled, so there should not be a conflict there.

I have a Adaptec 19160 Ultra160 SCSI Card attaching the Sony drive to the sever. there was never any problems before, my problems just cropped up a few weeks ago.

Is it possible the the retrospect prefrences went corrupt? If so, how would i replace them?

thanks, Chad

Hi

I doubt this is corrupt configs.

Removable Storage Manager does not disable windows drivers for a backup device. Make sure it has an X through it in the device manager.

Did you install anything on this computer lately? Does the configure->devices->environment screen show that you are using NT passthrough or ASPI?

Thanks

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Does your SCSI adapter use domain validation? Try turning it off.

Have you tried new cables and termination? You disabled the windows drivers for the device when you moved it to the new machine right?

This has to be hardware or driver related. To have it choke on the first file is a dead give away. Are there any firmware updates for the library? Is the library set to default settings?

Thanks

Nate

Archived