Email perferences Question

gholton

Does email notification in version 6.5 allow for email to be sent when backup jobs are successful?

I am using version 5.6 on most of my servers... I have configured the RetroEventHandler.bat file placed in the Retrospect directory to send me messages for all events.

This is handy for me as I then KNOW for certain that a backup ran and did not get hung up for whatever reason. With Version 6.5 it appears that email notification is only sent is a backup job fails or needs media.

Does the new email notification preference allow for this functionally in someway that is not shown in the GUI?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

gholton@vtiboston.com

It only sends out emails for failed backups, not successful ones. We will be changing that in a future release. This is a big feature request and we will make it happen.

The Event handler will still work with 6.5 as it did before.

Do I read your remarks to mean that if I disable the email perference from the GUI and add the RetroEventHandler.bat to the c:\program files\retrospect directory that Ver 6.5 will perform email notifications the same as Ver 5.6?

I am glad to hear that the new release will include the functionality I need. Hopefully it will be a free upgrade path as I just purchased Ver 6.5.

Glenn

Quote:

Do I read your remarks to mean that if I disable the email perference from the GUI and add the RetroEventHandler.bat to the c:\program files\retrospect directory that Ver 6.5 will perform email notifications the same as Ver 5.6?

You are correct.

• 1 month later...

Hi it's me once again... I had to put this issue down and solve some other problems... Now I am back on it....

I placed the "RetroEventHandler.bat" batch file in the directory but it does not appear to be working. Specifically... it is not running the batch file at all. I know this to be true as I added a log [data/time] routine to "RetroEventHandler.bat" and according to the log.. it has not fired at all.

What is the next step?

Glenn

gholton@vtiboston.com

Hi

Check your script as the changes you have made may be causing it to fail. If you use the standard retrohandler.bat a command window will flash on the screen from time to time as it is called. That way you know it is working at least.

BTW you don't have to disable the built in emailer in Retrospect 6.5 in order to use a Retroeventhandler.bat script.

Thanks

Nate

Nate, This problem was happening before I added any code to the batch file. The code I put in simply was logging weather the batch file was run (or not) and was placed in the very beginning as not to disrupt the rest of the code.

I actually believe this problem has something to do with Windows XP and the way Retrospect calls to DOS. I caught the tail end of a restropect DOS session and it displayed an error message to the tune of . "unable to process request" or something like that. (it goes by so fast).

With this knowledge I now can formulate that retrospect is not sending the email as it never has a chance to run the batch file due to an error.

I just got of the phone with Michael in customer service and reported this a possible bug. He is bringing this to tech supportd attention and hopefully will get back to me.

In the meantime I will continue this thread and will add anything relevant.

Archived