6.5 for Windows Update

Mayoff

Today Dantz released Retrospect 6.5.350 for Windows.

This version is available at www.dantz.com/updates

The changes to this update include fixes for the following issues:

Proactive Backup: Under certain circumstances, Proactive Backup would get “stuck” and stop backing up clients. This is no longer the case.

Terminal Services: On Windows Server 2003 systems, with the "Run Retrospect in the Terminal Services session" preference selected, Retrospect now correctly autolaunches into the terminal services session for the designated user.

Restoring Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes: Users should no longer get error -1214 (message property invalid) when restoring mailboxes.

Browsing Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes: In some situations, Retrospect’s browsers displayed mailboxes as empty, even though they were not. This has been fixed.

ATAPI Storage Devices: Retrospect running on computers with certain specific Intel chipsets incorrectly reported ATAPI devices as SCSI, which could prevent Retrospect Custom Configuration of a CD/DVD drive. The ATAPI devices are now properly recognized.

E-mail Notifications: On Japanese operating systems, e-mail notification messages are displayed correctly. Previously, the messages were improperly encoded and displayed “garbage” characters.

Often (usually) when a new version of Retrospect comes out, the old RDUs aren't needed anymore. I would assume that the Retrospect installer/updater would remove older/unneeded RDUs if that was the case but I had one occasion where that wasn't true (and the old RDU caused problems for the new version).

Today Retrospect 6.5.350 came out, superseding the older 6.5.336. But the older RDU stayed in place and was recognized:

==========> before installing ("updating") installation:

+ Retrospect version 6.5.336

Launched at 4/19/2004 6:12 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.9.101

Quit at 4/19/2004 6:13 PM

==========> after installing ("updating") installation:

+ Retrospect version 6.5.350

Launched at 4/19/2004 7:40 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.9.101

Is this correct. Is the 4.9.101 RDU still needed, should we remove it, should the Retrospect updater have removed it?

Has there yet been any steps taken to solve the issues of the Retrospect SERVER running on a machine that has the Microwoftt Firewall active (see a post I made in March in this forum that has yet to get any resposnes)....

I know that there ios documentation on how to get the CLIENT to coexist with the firewall, but the upcoming challenge will be with the introduction of XP SP2 as to HOW to get the SERVER to coexist with the firewall.

Patiently Waiting for a reponse

Peter

Hi

I have Retrospect server running on my XP with no problems and the firewall is active. The initial install of Retrospect did not open port 497 for some reason. I worked around the problem by resetting the firewall to block both TCP and UDP on port 497 then I manuall re opened them. Does this not work for you?

Nate

Has anyone been experiencing problems with their computers since installing recent updates?

Since installing Retrospect update 6.5.350 and driver update 4.9, I'm having problems with my computer. My OS is Win2000. My antivirus software is NAV. I've had to shutdown and reboot several times.since the installation. The problem: calling up and exiting from software is slow. Same is true for shutdown. Since the installation, "restart" has not worked. System hangs on blue screen. I have to manually shutdown the computer and turn it back on to reboot. At one point in this process, I was not able to access my modem.

Should I uninstall something?

Should I reinstall the previous driver?

Hi

You mean if you tell Retrospect to restart the computer the entire machine hangs on restart? There are very few things that Retrospect does at boot. Try disabling the Retrospect laucher service and see if that helps.

I have heard a couple of reports of updates to NAV that have lead to system instability. You might want to look into that.

Nate

Archived