Going crazy trying to backup to DVD

All,

Any help is greatly appreciated... I've been trying to figure this out for days.

I've got a Mac G4, OS 10.2.8, with Retrospect Backup v.5.0.238. I've been doing backups to the internal HD and to the internal CDRW (a Toshiba SD-R1102, came with the G4) for months with zero problems.

However, I need to do backups to DVD because I want to back up around 13GB of data to something other than HD. So I got an external DVD drive. I got the Lace DVD+-RW, Firewire drive, the one designed by Prosche. I chose this because it's basically a Pioneer DVR-106D in a firewire enclosure.

However, for the life of me I can't get it to use the Lacie to back up anything.

When I go to Configure --> Devices, the Lacie only shows up if I there's a DVD-R in the drive AND the blank DVD-R is mounted on the desktop. That is, when I stick a blank DVD-R in, I click "Open with Finder" rather than "Ignore" when the OS X dialog box pops up. (The internal toshiba shows up no matter what.)

Even when the lacie drive doesn't show up in the main Devices list, it still appears correctly when I click on "Device Status...".

So, when I do it so the Lacie shows up in the main Devices menu, everything looks good. Blank DVD-R in the drive, it shows the status as "erased", 4.3 GB ready to go.

So right after this, when I try to actually do a backup and it comes time to choose the device to back up to (as a CD/DVD backup Set) the Lacie doesn't appear as a choice at all.

When I try it as a Removable Disk backup set, it properly renames the black DVD-R volume and copies the data to it, but it doesn’t burn (I don’t think).

What am I missing here?????? I’m lost.

Thanks!

Ramsey

• 2 weeks later...

Currently using v. 5.0238, I and had same problem trying to backup to a DVD + or - RW disk(s) using Lacie's dvd+/- recorder. You stated that version 6 worked. Was the external lacie drive recognized as a storage device by this versio or did you have to use the device status window to configure?

Thanks for any assistance.

Ray Andrews

I would recommend to "throw aside" the external firewire enclosure "for something else later" and put the drive into your mac instead of your cd-r. Because it is an 106 it will be supported just perfect by the Mac OS and Retrospect 5.1.

I have installed three of these Pioneer drives as internals and they work perfect on the G4s with Fuji DVD+R.

just my two cents.

So I paid the $$$ to upgrade to retrospect 6.0 and things work peachy-keen.

Except for the fact that when I burn a backup to DVD-R, and then try to read it in other (OS X) computers that have DVD-ROMs, the disk won't mount. In fact, I have to force the DVD-ROM to eject to get it out (or reboot the machine).

If I put the first DVD-R of the backup (of 2 total) in the external drive that burned it, it mounts on the desktop. If I put the second DVD in the original burner, it will mount too.

However, if I put the first DVD-R into the internal DVD-ROM drive in the G4 that has Retrospect on it (the one that's the backup server) then the DVD-R won't mount and Retrospect's "Device Status" says media failure.

Obviously, this is hugely important! If no other drives can read the DVD's that Retrospect burns... what use is it?

The internal drive in the G4 is a Toshiba SD-R1102.

Both drives have been configured in Retrospect.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

From the knowledgebase:

BACKUP CDS IN THE FINDER

Backup discs created by Retrospect are accessible only by Retrospect; they do not mount on the desktop for use with the Finder or other software. NOTE: You cannot use CD-ROM drives to restore from CD-R backup sets

This is true for DVD media too

mayoff,

thanks for the tip. So this means that to restore my data I have to have a DVD-R burner, right? Will ANY (compatible) DVD-R burner work, or does it have to the one that actually burned the DVD? (Or the same model, etc?)

thanks.

This article does not address the problem. Let me get this straight. Are you saying that if I back up my combo laptop to a DVD using my superdrive desktop, and then want to restore something from the DVD to the laptop (perhaps when I am travelling) then I cannot do so even though it has its own Retrospect installed and can read DVDs?

Archived