Immediate Duplicate

i'll answer on behalf of the original poster. the status indicator says "closing", i believe.

this is really an annoying wart in the interface, and should be fixed, in my opinion. copying/verifying priv's is a basic part of any backup. it should be accounted for in the progress estimate, just as, for example, the verify phase is.

even if the progress bar can't be fixed to give the user better feedback to show that things are proceeding and/or to show an estimate of what portion of the overall backup task has been completed (i realize this could involve significant re-design), i think the message should be updated to say something more meaningful than "closing...", which is wrong or at least misleading.

Hi,

I've installed on My new G5 Mac OS 10.3 (Panther) and tried to do a duplicate copy without verification turned on (no scripting or anything involved) of my 250 Gig Internal HD to my new External 800 Firewire LaCie 250 Gig. Drive.

I have a "closing" problem now with Retrospect 5.1, that being it is closing, I think forever.... In other words it keeps scanning my files and going nowhere, with a reading of 112K files left for backup. Is Dantz aware of this problem?? From what I've read, they don't seem to know that this is an issue. But then of course it may just be a issue with My setup. Help!!

Thanks,

MMF confused.gif

I posted the original message in this thread, and your experience is the same as mine. I'm using Retrospect Desktop 5.0x and OSX 10.28 so the problem is with Dantz and not related to Panther or the current problems with Firewire 800 drives. Doesn't anybody from Dantz read these posts? If this is supposed to be normal operation, then I intend to find an alternative backup solution.

Quote:

. Doesn't anybody from Dantz read these posts?

This thread contains multiple replies from Dantz employees.

Quote:

Then it appears all files are again being scanned again before Execution completes

This is the copying of permissions. You need to wait and let this process complete.

Quote:

I posted the original message in this thread, and your experience is the same as mine.

If it is, your message did not make your problem clear.

Your original post appeared to note the interface issue where Retrospect sets permissions on all files after they've been Duplicated, which another Forum user made clear; you did not suggest that the operation never completed.

The later post from the Panther user with a FW800 drive gave strong indications that his Immediate Duplicate went on forever (or close enough for computer work).

>>Doesn't anybody from Dantz read these posts?

Actually there seem to be three regular Dantz people who read and reply to posts on this list. But these Forums are NOT intended to be Dantz technical support. That's avilable via the telephone. Yes it costs, but I've heard that if the issue is the result of an actual bug in the program you're able to request a refund for the support charge.

Dave

• 3 months later...

I've experienced the same problem with both Retrospect 5.1 and 6. It gets to closing and then I guess it runs through all the files again, even doing an incremental backup. The resulting statistics in the log show performance of 14.1 MB/min. (7.4 MB/min. copy, 343.2 MB/min. compare). That isn't reasonable.

When using other backup software, such as Carbon Copy Cloner or Synchronize! Pro, those programs don't have to reverify permissions. Why does Retrospect, if that is what is actually happening?

I'm running Retrospect 6 on a PowerBook G4 1.25 MhZ, 768 MB RAM to an external FireWire 400 hard drive.

Archived