Hang when CD-R needs changing

I just upgraded from the public beta to the release. Now, Retrospect hangs (spinning rainbow of death) when a CD-R fills up. Backup seemed to work fine until I upgraded.

I made sure to run the uninstaller. I'm backing up a network, but it's failed with both an OS X and an OS 9 client. The first two times it failed on the same file; I ended up deleting that and had two more failures. Since a couple of client volumes did get backed up, it doesn't seem to be a client-related problem.

When it happens, I can't force-quit Retrospect. (It disappears from the Force quit dialog, but still remains in the Dock.)

This is all under 10.1.3. The drive is an EZQuest FireWire, MATSHITA C-7585 (also reported as Panasonic CD-RW). I'm using CD-R media, two different brands have failed.

Yeah, this seems totally repeatable (I got all optimistic and tried again after powering off computer and FireWire drive).

I don't know if I will have to go the paid tech support route -- it's kind of a drag to have to wait for an entire CD to fill up to know if it will work or not. I guess Dantz doesn't charge by the minute, though it seems a bit pricey, and they only claim it's free for known bugs (not ones you report).

Can you list the exact mechanism of the drive (fom the Device Status window)?

What brand of CD have you tried?

Does it work if you boot into OS 9? What about in OS X with other programs?

When does the hang occur? Is it always right when the CD needs to be changed?

Oh, and if your problem is a result of a bug in Retrospect, your Tech Support change will be refunded, even if the bug you report is new. Be sure to go through as much other troubleshooting as you can though before you call.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Device Status reads:

FireWire-A MATSHITA CD-RW CW-7585 1.04 Panasonic CD-RW (1.50)

I've used both HP and Staples CD-R blanks (both of which worked fine before).

I haven't tried under OS 9 since the backup machine really needs to be running OS X (it's also my CVS server). I thought permissions didn't get backed up properly (and the OS X partition needs to have correct permissions for CVS to work).

Not sure what you mean by "other programs" -- the Retrospect preview is another program, and it worked fine.

As near as I can tell, the hang is in the same place (it was the same file the first time; the backup-able files have changed so that's no longer the case). I can't tell for sure if it's when the CD needs to be changed, but it's a reasonable guess given that a lot of stuff has been backed up, and I've never seen the "insert blank" dialog since I upgraded. (I suppose I could waste another blank and try backing up w/o compression to get a better sense of when it fails, but again, I'd been using compression with the beta.)

The only other thing that I think has changed since the beta is that I applied Apple's security upgrade (I use SSH).

Oh, and if it matters, it's the only FireWire device connected. The machine is a graphite G4, and the internal drive doesn't burn.

I've had trouble on a different machine with the drive not being recognized, but it's worked fine on this G4. Retrospect does write to it (and has verified the backup of smaller client volumes), and Retrospect can eject CDs from it.

We have tested and qualified this drive under OS X. Try a higher quality CD and see if that makes a difference. (Keep in mind that Retrospect writes in packet mode, which uses different capabilities in the drive than most other software.) Do you get the same behavior if you connect this drive to another computer?

Admittedly Staples CD-Rs may not be the best, but what's better than HP?

In general, the burner works better with the computer it's currently hooked up to (and worked fine with the beta). But I guess I'll have to try with another machine, though that's very painful given that the backup sets aren't really transportable...

It is always best to use a CD brand recommended by the drive maker. Some generic CD's may record okay today, but you may find that they don't have the same shelf life as a major name brand. I once read that generic CD's may "delaminate" within 5 years

I have had very good success with TDK disks.

The following URL's from the Optical Storage Technology Association are interesting:

http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa3.htm

http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa12.htm

Another good URL:

http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/Longevity.html

Archived