Can't Track Volumes, error -3421

When logging in or accessing a SQL client or a client running Exchange 5.5, Retrospect 6.5 may report an error -3421 Can't Track Volumes (Unknown).

This error may be due to a missing dll in the Retrospect client folder.

To fix this problem:

1) From the Retrospect server system log out ("Forget") the Retrospect client.

2) Download the psapi.dll file by clicking the download link in this post.

3) At the client computer place the Psapi.dll (unzip from the Psapi.zip) in C:\Program Files\Dantz\Client

4) Back at the Retrospect server system log the client back in

5) Try the backup again

Download info:

Filename: Psapi.zip

Compatible with: Retrospect Client 6.5 for Windows

The latest Retrospect 6.5 client found at www.dantz.com/updates does not require this update (it is included with the current client).

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same error problem with exchange agent, the exchange container in the volumes database I click the "login as button" and I put the information.

I checked the manual page 270 and I already created an account that is domain admin , and is on the backup operator group called RBU, and I always get the same error "sorry authentication failed please retry" I already put Psapi.Dll in the retrospect exchange client and still I get the same error.

Hi

Sorry but I had to ask (I've seen it before!)

After rereading your first post it looks lke you are having login problems and the -3421 error? Have you sent a message to the mailbox you created for the Retrospect backup user? Have you attempted using your standard admin login to the database as a test? (Instead of the RBU)

Nate

new problem i cant see any mailbox but i can see the information database my login and password works.

this is the error i get in the log.

T-2: TMapiConnectioncryrub.gifTMapiConnection: Unable to use profile, win error 0x81002746

Retrospect error code error -3403 (unknown)

Reported by function mbttkTestLogin

Access to mailboxes from the administrator account has failed.

Try setting up another privileged mailbox account for Retrospect.

This is a known problem with Exchange 5.5 running on Windows 2000.

T-2: TMapiConnectioncryrub.gifInitializeMailboxes: GetMailboxTable failed, err -3.402 (winerr 0x80070005).

Of curse i have allready made the mail account active and i tryed with other users with admin privileges

can anyone help ??

Ok i have windows 2000 server with exchange 5.5 installed the rbu account is a domain admin and it is admin in the exchange server.

im using retrospect multi-server 6.5

and the last version of the retrospect client.

with exchange agent and open file manager agent.

• 1 year later...

I'm having a possibly related problem (error 0x81002746 while trying to back up Exchange mailboxes). Full details at

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=45081&page=0&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I note that most of the threads mentioning this problem here seem to end with a request for more information, which is not posted. Does the problem go away by itself (worrying) or never get resolved (very worrying)??? If it does get resolved, but offline, it would be really helpful to other users if the actual resolution was still posted here.

Hi Scott and DDSDave,

Can you please give specific details about the OS of your backup server, the OS of the Exchange server, the version of Exchange, the version and build number of Retrospect, the version and build number of Retrospect client?

Have you both tried an uninstall of Retrospect client, reboot and then reinstall with the 6.5.136 client?

What account are you using for the Retrospect backup user?

Thanks

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

I get the same error. I was able to fix it by unhiding the retrospect user in Exchange. In the retrospect user's Active Directory properties I had checked the "Hide from Exchange address lists" checkbox in the Exchange Advanced tab. Now I don't get the error, but the retrospect user shows up in the GAL(Global Address List). mad.gif

• 5 years later...

The 'unhide' fix worked for me too (Sept 2010, Win Retrospect 7.6 serverside, Windows SBS2003 server (integrated Exchange 2003). Who'd have thought that wanting to hide the Administrator a/c from the Global Address List in windows would have the side-effect of kneeing retrospect mailbox backups in the soft parts!

All you need do is unhide your Retrospect Exchange login a/c (make visible in online address lists), wait a few mins for Exchange/Active Directory to do their thing, then in Retrospect server just goto Volumes and rightmouse to reconfigure the "Login As" details (on your Exchange Mailboxes Volume) and save the details - possibly repeat a few times, and soon the login box should vanish silently (ie happy login), and soon the individual mailboxes for all users should reappear as known mailboxes to be backed up.

For washup, you could manually force your mailbox backup job to run, so as to immediately catchup on all the mailbox backups that failed since you last tried to hide your aforementioned account from your windows address lists ;-)

Archived