5.x, Remote and multihoming

rzeman

Justupgraded my Retro to 5.0 Desktop and a 5 client pack. One of my client computers is my DSL firewall (a 7600 running IPNetRouter). It's multi-homed, with 2 NICs with two public IP addresses bound to the external interface and one private IP address bound to the internal interface. All machines on the internal network are 192.168.1.x.

Retrospect's broadcasts don't elicit a reply from that remote; with the public beta I was just able to plug the internal interface's IP address in the Retrospect app and it would work with no problems.

However, that option seems to be, ahem, removed in Desktop. To me, it's silly to have that entire logic removed from desktop, vs not being able to enter anything not on your subnet.

In the knowledge base, I see that there's a way to bind the Remote client on Windoze to a specific IP address via the Registry, but I need to see if there's a way to do it on a Mac.

If not, I'll be taking advantage of the 30 day refund because, to me, that machine IS on the same subnet as the backup computer.

Thanks for any and all help.

Doing a little exploring with Resedit on the control panel shows an intriguing resource called "inet" in it. It has the Retro client IP port in it (497) and four fields for IP octects.

HOWEVER, I can't make sense of what the values are in the four fields

I think that deciphering this code and finding the way to map them to 192.168.1.254 is the only way that I'm going to solve this problem of mine.

I suppose that's all in how "active" is defined. If "the interface selected in the TCP control panel" is the definition of active, you're right.

If the definition of active is sitting there processing packets on the same subnet as the backup machine and otherwise acting like the happy little Ethernet card it is, then I'm right. And by definition I'm right because if I can sit at the backup machine and do a traceroute to the machine in question and it's only one hop away, it's in the same subnet and "active."

Archived