Cannot quit Retrospect - even using Windows Task Manager

Toboid

I recently installed Retropect 5 along with a Maxtor 5000DV external drive) on my PC which is running Win XP Professional. The application is working on the whole. However, each time I try to exit Retrospect (by clicking the "X" in the top right hand corner) it hangs. I try using Task Manager (which shows that Retrospect is "Not Responding") but even clikcing "End Now" does not close down the Retrospect window. I end up having to do a hard shutdown on the PC. ANy ideas what might be causing this?

I am having a couple of other problems with Retrospect which I will post in separate posts, but in case they are related to this problem I mention them here too: 1. scripts won't run unattanded, 2. Retrospect won't recognize CD-RW disks that have been formatted to be viewable in Windows Explorer using Direct CD from Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum - says "currently mounted CD contains items that are in use"

This is a little strange. Try the following to see if it helps:

Windows XP has a "System Restore" feature turned on by default. To increase backup stability try turn off "System Restore" from System Properties for "all drives" by going to: Control Panels > System > System Restore. Restart the computer

• 5 months later...

I see that this is a pretty old topic, but I'm having the same problem and I thought maybe a solution was found.

I just got finished restarting my computer (by powering off and on) because I couldn't get Retrospect Express to quit. All I did was look at my scripts and cancel a scheduled backup that was starting at the wrong time.

Even in the best of times, it takes Retrospect Express about two minutes to quit, no matter what I started the program for. Even if i just start it and quit, it takes a long time to bring up the 'quit' dialog.

I'm using a Maxtor 5000DV as my backup device. It's connected via USB 1.0.

I'm not willing to deactivate System Restore. It's saved my butt too many times. If that's the solution, I'll have to use some other backup program.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27294

Windows XP has a "System Restore" feature turned on by default. This option will attempt to cache large files created by Retrospect, which results in heavy disk activity and what appears like a freeze. Mutli-GB file backup sets are likely to trigger this behavior. If you wait an extended period of time, the disk activity will stop and the computer will once again be usable.

Thanks for the response. Can you give me an idea how long I have to wait? In the past when this happened, I waited as long as several hours and it still didn't quit.

Also, why would this happen if I don't even reference the backup set? For example, I start the program to check my scripts and quit. It still takes several minutes for the program to bring up the Quit dialog.

Archived