DDS3 & 2930

I've got the same problem and if your search this forum, this is aparently a common problem with 10.1.3, Adaptec SCSI adapters and the Sony DDS tape drives.

I've got a APS enclosure with a Sony SDT-9000, two different Adaptec SCSI cards. Everything shows up in 9.2.2 but not in 10.1.3

I hope there is a solution soon.

- T. Payton

HolyCow! Creative, Albuquerque, NM

This is a partial list of unsupported SCSI adapters. Contact the card vendor for news and OS X updates.

Adaptec 2940U2B

PowerDomain SlimSCSI 1480

PowerDomain 2940UW

PowerDomain 2940U2W

PowerDomain 3940UW

PowerDomain 3944UWD

PowerDomain 2940W  

My SCSI card is one of the supported ones, an Adaptec 2930. My tape drive is also supposed to be supported, a Sony SDT-9000. I am running 10.1.3, so it seems as though there might be a problem with that. Anyone at Dantz have a response to this? I'm considering getting a Sony AIT Autoloader, but it seems that has problems with OS X also.

I have updated to the most recent 2930 drivers from Adaptec and I have two Sony SDT-10000 DDS4 drives in external APS-Tech enclosures. Previously they wouldn't work at all. The good news is, after the update and with the release version of Retrospect 5.0, ONE drive connected backs up fine -- TWO drives connected, howver, and Retrospect doesn't see either of them. Apple System Profiler always 'sees' the drives.

If your storage device has a wide 68-pin interface, make sure it is connected to a wide 68-pin SCSI adapter. Many issues have been found when wide devices have been connected to a narrow 50-pin or 25-pin SCSI adapter.

This is noted on our device support page, and it may be why some configurations, such as the SDT-10000 or SDT-11000 drive on the 2930 card, aren't working.

Adaptec has come out with a BIOS chip upgrade for the 2930. In most cases they will ship to you for free. Contact Adaptec technical support, and tell them you are using your 2930 on a desktop mac with OS X.

I found their tech support people to be very helpful and knowledgable about Macs and OS X in general.

My 2930 was several years old, and this BIOS upgrade helped solve the problem discussed above, as well as a sleep lock-up problem.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Actually, I just updated the firmware on my SDT-9000 & both ASP in OS X 10.1.3 and Retrospect recognize the drive now. Current firmware for the drive is 600. Unfortunately the only way to update the firmware is from a Windows machine. Of course, I only have a laptop that I use for checking webpages, so I had to buy the Adaptec SlimSCSI adaptor to connect the tape drive. Software from Sony is simple enough & I had the entire process completed in less than 10 minutes.

Archived