Strategy

I have had a battle with my computer that I never want to wage again - and that's why I downloaded Retrospect Express. I looked at the features, and disaster recovery was an important element. I found the most cost-effective approach was to purchase another hard drive for backup use only. It is 120 GB (as is my primary drive). I would like to automate the backup process so that Every evening my file backup is updated and if disaster occurs I can just reformat the operating drive (not the backup drive of course ) and apply my Retrospect CD ROM.

I note that the easy script feature doesn't work with a hard drive backup (file backup). So I guess I need to do this scripting the hard way. What do you suggest?

You can either create a script from scratch, or you can just create an EasyScript and modify it. I've included instructions here on how to start with an EasyScript and then customize it to back up to your hard disk.

1. Make an EasyScript backup that suits your needs and pick any other medium for your backup, letting Retrospect create these other backup sets. Save your EasyScript.

2. From the Retrospect directory, click Configure: Backup Sets. Click Create New and make two new File Backup sets, named whatever you like. Make sure you're saving them in the right location (if you have an external drive, be certain that the file is being saved to the external drive and not the local one). Once these have been created, click Cancel to exit the backup set configuration window.

3. You should be back in the main directory. Now, click Automate: Scripts and select the EasyScript you created. Click the Destinations button and you'll see the two sets Retrospect automatically created.

4. Click Add, and you can use the command or control key to select the two file backup sets that you made. Click OK, then click OK again.

5. You should now be back in your script summary window, with four sets in the destination section. Click Schedule to change the sets that you're backing up to.

6. Decide which set will replace which. For each schedule, double-click it to modify, and change the set that it's going to at the bottom of the screen. Once you've done this for all the schedulers, click OK, return to the script summary window, and save your script.

7. If you like, you can now return to the Configure: Backup Sets window and "forget" the two old backup sets that Retrospect created.

It's a good idea to click Preview from the Automate tab, just to be sure that the executions are scheduled as you expect. If not, make any changes by editing the script.

Hope this helps!

Irena Solomon

Dantz Technical Support

Thanks. I'll try it out. Why can't EasyScript do this with the medium being another hard drive? In talking to many people about the best backup medium to use for today's larger drives. a majority say the hard drive is the best choice. It's big, it's fast, and it's cheap. (For a tape drive that will back up half as much I would need to pay twice as much - thus, tape is four times as expensive. I guess I don't have protection from a big fire, but just about anything else I'm better off with the hard drive.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad to hear this, Irena. Right now I am using the Duplicate function (vs. backup) because it seemed more complicated

to use backup file sets (limited to 4 gb each) than to use the duplicate function to back up a 20 gig hard drive.

I have successfully tested individual file restores from the duplicated volume, but have never tested completely replacing the duplicated volume (too scary for me!)

The duplicate function is not as well documented in the user guide as the backup functions. I use "subvolumes"

on the destination disk (a Maxtor 80 GB external firewire device). Can I specify "replace entire disk" when what I really

mean is "replace entire subvolume" ? I would like to be able to perform the equivalent of an incremental backup

with the duplicate operation.

I just joined this forum, after learning that standard technical support is no longer available to Dantz customers.

So far, I have been impressed by your reponses to subscribers' questions.

• 1 month later...

When will the new version be available???? I just downloaded the trial version and found the same drawback when using a hard disk. For large backups we gave up on tapes (breaking, retentioning, etc., etc.) and the newer versions of tape backups are almost overkill! P.S. I only have a 30 day trial now - will I be able to get a new 30 day trial for the new version??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived