Selecting Folders

Hello

I'm trying to evaluate Retrospect, and am frankly pretty frustrated. When I do a backup, I back up some drives completely, some not at all, and in one drive I backup only selected folders. Now it's very easy to either backup, or not back up a whole drive. But I cannot figure out how to back up selected folders. This should be an easy thing. There MUST be a browse box somewhere that I can use to select only the folders I want to backup.

What am I missing here??

Thanks

DPKilleen

Hi,

I posted almost the same message as you and got no replies, but I finally figured it out. The manual is extremely confusing regarding this issue. And I don't know why Danztz expects its users to give [free] tech support to each other like this!

Anyway, if you're working on a Mac it's easy... just label your the folders you want to specifically include or exclude as "hot" or "cool" (you only need to do either of these, not both). Then, click on the Selecting button, then click on Include > Selector > (is selected by) Hot Items [or] Exclude Cool Items on the pull down menu.

I also have a PC on a Mac network, and for that I had to got to the Configure tab, select the hard drive and then click on Subvolume. That brings up a list of folders, which you have to select individually and Define as volumes. These you add by clicking the Sources button and then add the folders you described as volumes.

This sounds confusing but it makes sense when you go through the steps. Retrospect is very easy if you want to back up an entire drive, but this is ridiculous. It took me months to get up and running.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=commonq_paid_support#PP

At the very bottom states:

Q. Are new customers entitled to free support?

A. New customers are entitled to 30 days of free installation and set-up support after registering. This includes customers who purchase the full product through any retail channel, or who receive and Retrospect product bundled or included with other software or hardware. Upgrade purchases do not entitle users to additional free support.

Archived