Snow Leopard and Retrospect 6.1

Hi,

any body having (positive) experiences with Snow Leopard (recent developer build, obviously) and Retrospect 6.1? Current situation with Retrospect 8.x means I am still running 6.1 successfully in Leopard (under Rosetta). Will that change with Snow Leopard?

Thanks a bunch,

Rolf

Edited by Guest

Talking with engineering one major issue exists for backup programs and Snow Leopard.

The Operating System files are in a compressed state. The backup of those files copies them uncompresses. Older versions of Retrospect would then restore them in an uncompressed state and no known way exists to re-compress those files.

A planned update to Retrospect 8 will address this problem and others. We hope to have the Retrospect 8 update available in a 30 day timeframe.

sorry that was unclear: I am currently running Retrospect 61 Desktop on my MBP (C2D, 2.33 GH, early 2007), sans server…

In Retrospect terminology, the computer running the Retrospect application is called "server" (which can back up "clients" on the network).

So the question remains: Why are you so in a hurry to update to Snow Leopard?

So I will in time update to Retrospect 8.x but rely on TimeMachine and SuperDuper until then.

Is SuperDuper updated for Snow Leopard? You better check, they could run into issues along the way too. Has it been fully tested to recover the operating system of 10.6?

Backup of user data should not be an issue. The official statement with details will be out later today

Is SuperDuper updated for Snow Leopard? You better check, they could run into issues along the way too. Has it been fully tested to recover the operating system of 10.6?

Yes.

SuperDuper! updated for Snow Leopard

SuperDuper! is one program that "just works". Retrospect used to be that same way, back with Retrospect 2.0 through 4.2.

But SuperDuper! is not a backup program as most understand that term.

russ

Due to ongoing concerns about Retrospect 8, my client is still relying on Retrospect 6 Server running on a G5/Tiger setup. I understand that EMC's position is to leave R6/Snow Leopard unsupported, but is the 6.2.234 client viable running on a Snow Leopard box? We only back up the user folder - obviously there's no system or application files involved.