Needs new media... Why?

Well that didn't take long... it failed again asking for media.

+ Normal backup using KNS Mac Backup at 7/15/2009 3:42 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set KNS Mac Backup...

SMTP: opening addr xxx.xxx.xx.xxx

> Can't access backup client xxxx xxxxxxx, error -530 ( backup client not found)

7/15/2009 3:44:04 PM: Connected to xxxx xxxxxxx

* Resolved container xxxx xxxxxxx to 1 volumes:

Brian Patty on Brian Patty

7/15/2009 3:42:45 PM: Copying xxxx xxxxxxx on xxxx xxxxxxx

devSetExec: already reserved devRef 0x0, reserveType 0x7fffffff, reserveCnt 1

Additional error information for Disk Media Set member "1-KNS Mac Backup",

Can't write to file /Volumes/KNS Mac Backup/Retrospect/KNS Mac Backup/1-KNS Mac Backup/AB001155.rdb, error -1023 ( already exists)

> !Trouble writing: "1-KNS Mac Backup" (3430830080), error -106 ( data overwrite attempt)

!Trouble writing media:

"1-KNS Mac Backup"

error -106 ( data overwrite attempt)

I just created a new folder on the same physical disk and then added it as a media set. I then added it as a media set to the script.

Just a correction in terminology (helps makes reporting more accurate).

A "Media Set" is the combination of Catalog + Members. So the more accurate phrasing of the above statement would be:

"I just created a new folder on the same physical disk and then added it as a Member of the Media Set."

Hi everyone,

I maybe have a similar problem. Yesterday I ran a new backup script that should backup my customers data to a backup disk (sonnet800, raid5/7x1,5TB + 1Hot Spare, 1x ~8TB partition, SATA, OSX 10.5.7 Server / Xserve).

The script started and immideately before starting to write it says "need media".

After trying out various things as GUID Partition Table, Apple Partition Table etc. I fixed it by dividing my Raid Disk into two partitions (2x ~4TB).

Now the backup script runs and everything seems fine.

Is there a "maximum size" for disk backup sets (media sets)?

Perhaps my little text helps to solve this problem...

I will say that after splitting my two physical disk and adding them as two members to one media set, my initial backup went fine and then my first normal backup went fine as well. Tonight we'll see if my next scheduled normal backup goes without it asking for new media.

So, I suppose it could be that Retrospect has issues with RAIDs, or maybe RAIDs created with Apple Disk Utility.

It looks like I am seeing this problem too. I have been using 8.1 with a small RAID (1.78TB) for a few weeks with no trouble, but can't get my 9.8TB RAID to work. It says "Needs Media" immediately after scanning source.

I am splitting the large RAID into smaller ones right now. Should take several hours... will report back. Has anyone figured out the maximum size that works yet? I would rather not split it in half then have it fail and have to try thirds next. It takes too long to rebuild this thing each time.

I fixed it by dividing my Raid Disk into two partitions (2x ~4TB).

Now the backup script runs and everything seems fine

It's important to note that just because you took some steps that changed the behavior, it doesn't prove what the actual cause might have been.

Is there a "maximum size" for disk backup sets (media sets)?

As noted (twice) above, the correct question would be:

Is there a "maximum size" for a Member of a Disk Media Set?

Thank you for your reply.

I found this error in my log:

+ Retrospect version 8.1.148.1

Launched at 7/20/2009 2:08 PM

devctrlrDevLogin: no login, refnum 0x1244

devctrlrInstMake: unavailable refnum 0x1244

Exit at 7/20/2009 2:09 PM

stucANH: IORegistryEntryCreateCFProperties 4 (error 0)

stucANH: IORegistryEntryCreateCFProperties 4 (error 0)

There is definitely a 2TB limit in the latest release. 8.1.150

I am having issues with a 20TB Volume which fails with the "needs media" message. I made a 2TB partition and it works fine. Please fix this ASAP as it is a major issue.

What version of Mac OS X is on the computer running the engine, and what architecture (Intel or PPC)?

What type of RAID? How is it formatted?

If you remake the 20 TB volume and create a big (let's say, 8 TB) file on it using, let's say,

dd if=/dev/zero of=file.dat bs=8m count=1m

can you then duplicate that file with the Finder?

Russ

What version of Mac OS X is on the computer running the engine, and what architecture (Intel or PPC)?

[color:red]10.5.7, Intel[/color]

What type of RAID? How is it formatted?

[color:red]LSI Megaraid PCIe, RAID 0, HFS +[/color]

If you remake the 20 TB volume and create a big (let's say, 8 TB) file on it using, let's say,

dd if=/dev/zero of=file.dat bs=8m count=1m

can you then duplicate that file with the Finder?

[color:red]Checking....[/color]

Russ

Actually I retested and found that the limit is actually at the 8TB level. If I create a volume that is 7.99TB it works fine but an 8TB volume doesn't.

What happens if you do the 20 TB volume, 8 TB file test that I suggested with the Finder?

Any reason why?

lseek( )

May just be an incorrect type specification in Retrospect 8. The size of off_t varies (and has changed over the years) for different machines.

Russ