Intel 10.5.1 retrospect network communication error

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello plevin and others, what did you finally figure out about this?

I have this exact same problem.

It is a *brand new* (today) MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz, running 10.5 with 4mb RAM.

I purchased a brand new client license and installed the latest Retrospect Client on the machine. When it installed, I selected the option to have it let Retrospect communicate through the firewall. Time Machine has not been setup or used on it. Before trying the backups, the RC reports "ready" on the client machine.

I updated my Retrospect 6.1 application (on an intel MacPro 3.0 Xeon running 10.4.10) to 6.1.138.

I am able to back up other clients, as I always have. I have 3 other Mac clients (none of them Leopard yet) and two Windows clients. All working fine.

The brand new virgin MacBook Pro with 10.5 and a freshly installed client, when I try an Immediate Backup, gets only a few seconds into the scan (75 folders, 25 files), and starts reporting Net Retry. I have restarted multiple times. Reset things, no avail. Each time I try this, it gets to the exact same point (75 folders, 25 files).

Options: Verification On, Don't backup FileVault sparseimages.

Note: I actually have the MacBook Pro mounted on the Main Restrospect machine's desktop while trying this, just to be sure (tried it both ways, mounted, not mounted). There *is no* network error, the thing is mounted, I can browse the files in the Finder. Meanwhile, Retrospect is reporting "Net Retry", and then the "Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error 519 (network communication failed)".

The log only reports this:

? Retrospect version 6.1.138

launched at 1/6/2008 2:25 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.13.101

Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error 519 (network communication failed)

I'm sorry, none of those suggestions worked for me.

I tried repairing the permissions on the leopard client. There weren't any errors. It's brand new.

I tried setting "Do not backup ACLs" in the Retrospect app Preferences. It still does exactly the same thing.

It stops scanning at 75 folders and 25 files and starts with the "Net Retry" stuff.

How can I back up my Leopard client? I paid money for this license!

Quote:

* The Operations Log appears incomplete, where there is no indication of what operation Retrospect is beginning before it logs the communication error.

Perhaps you are running a different version of Retrospect than some of us. I am running what I believe is "Desktop". Not server or workgroup.

In my experience, there is never *anything* printed to the log during scanning. An example successful backup:

? Retrospect version 6.1.138

launched at 1/7/2008 12:17 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.13.101

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 1/7/2008 12:32 PM

To backup set UltraMax1-010508…

- 1/7/2008 12:32:51 PM: Copying KARMA Projects on XP Hard Drive…

1/7/2008 12:37:18 PM: Comparing KARMA Projects on XP Hard Drive…

1/7/2008 12:40:58 PM: Execution completed successfully.

Completed: 4226 files, 907.4 MB

Performance: 224.0 MB/minute (204.6 copy, 247.4 compare)

Duration: 00:08:07 (00:00:01 idle/loading/preparing)

===================================

Notice that between the launch at 12:17, and the "Executing Immediate Backup" at 12:32, there is nothing. This is where scanning is going on. There has never been anything printed in my logs during scanning operations. It either is successful, and then begins the backup, or not. Therefore, the examples posted previously by myself and others are completely valid log entries, at least for the version of Retrospect that we are using.

Thanks,

Stephen

Post # 105144 contained valuable specifics; knowing if the same thing is happening to you might help find a common cause.

- What's the Status of the Retrospect client before, during and after?

- Does pitond eat CPU cycles when this happens?

- Does retroped23 launch when you first connect to the client?

- If you define a top level folder such as /Users/ as a Retrospect Subvolume, can you successfully use this as a Source (won't provide full disc recovery, but _will_ backup your valuable data while this issue is figured out)?

OK - yes, the exact same thing as #105144 is happening. Here are details:

I am using Apple's Activity Monitor to view all processes on the client machine. I can see pitond running.

When I initiate an Immediate Backup of the Leopard Client, pitond pegs one of the CPUs to about 85%.

The Retrospect Client application displays "In use by "root" for "scanning"".

Retrospect app is stuck at "75 folders 25 files", and displaying "Net Retry."

At no time does a retroped23 process appear to start up.

If I wait about 3 to 4 minutes, it aborts with the :Error!! Scanning incomplete, error 519 (network communication failed).

The RC goes back to "Ready", and pitond drops back down to negligible CPU use.

Note: If I go to Clients and choose the Leopard Client, and then hit Configure > Configure, I can see a retroped.24 process (note: 24 not 23, if that means anything) launch on the client machine. But it does not happen when attempting the backup.

Permissions for the retropds files on my machine follow. I have no way to confirm if these are correct but my iMac Core 2 install of the Retrospect OS X Client 6.1.130 was done _after_ my Leopard update.

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 632196 Apr 6 2006 /Applications/Retrospect Client.app/Contents/Resources/retropds.22

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 381132 Sep 19 2005 /Applications/Retrospect Client.app/Contents/Resources/retropds.23

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 381344 Jan 12 2007 /Applications/Retrospect Client.app/Contents/Resources/retropds.24

Do yours look the same?

Interesting. I do not have a retropds.23 file in my client.app, at all:

Maybe that's the problem?

Retrospect Client.app/Contents/Resources:

total 3184

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 15648 Apr 6 2006 EMC_client_logo.tiff

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 6 02:11 English.lproj

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 6 02:11 French.lproj

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 6 02:11 German.lproj

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 6 02:11 Japanese.lproj

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 47436 Apr 6 2006 RetroClient.icns

drwxrwxr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jan 6 02:11 busco.app

drwxrwxr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jan 6 02:11 defer.app

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 27872 Sep 20 2005 firewallcon2

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 22740 Apr 6 2006 icon.tiff

-rwsrwxr-x 1 root wheel 490336 Apr 6 2006 pitond

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 632196 Apr 6 2006 retropds.22

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 381344 Jan 12 2007 retropds.24

Quote:

I do not have a retropds.23 file in my client.app, at all:

I do not know specifically what each of these processes do, but unless these unix executables are installed on the Client computer using some other mechanism then the client software installer (which is possible, I suppose) then I'd suggest that you uninstall the client software (using the installer application) and reinstall.

Dave

Gee, I hadn't thought of that. laugh.gif (only did it 5 times already).

But as an experiment, I decided to monitor it a little more closely:

I uninstalled RC from the Leopard Client with the installer. Reinstalled OS X Client, rebooted as it asked.

Examined the Package Contents/Resources of the Retrospect Client. There is only the retropds.22 file, not .23 or .24.

Then, I "forgot" the Leopard Client in Clients > Configure, and added it in again, like a new Client. When I got to the Configure > Clients > Configure tab, and it asked me to Log-in, and then verify the name of the client for the first time, I noticed it then created the retropds.24 file inside the package contents of the Retrospect Client. But again, no .23 (yet).

Maybe that is supposed to be created the first time you do a backup?

So I tried a backup again with the freshly installed client - no go, same exact problem.

One other data point:

I looked inside the Package Contents/Resources of Retrospect Client on one of my Tiger machines. There are all 3 retropds files, 22,23,24. Also, there is a file named "firewallcon".

In the Leopard Client, there is no "firewallcon" - there is a file named "firewallcon2" - don't know if this is relevant.

There seems to clearly be some issue here that EMC should be looking into. Do they read this?

Quote:

Do they read this?

Yes; Mayoff contributed the second post to this thread.

Something sure does sound as if it's keeping the correct resources from being copied to the client.

The only firewall related information you've provided in your posts has been:

> I selected the option to have it let Retrospect communicate through the firewall.

- What was the state/status/setting of your Leopard firewall before you did the install?

- What contortions have you already gone through in relation to firewall settings on the problem install?

Dave

Quote:

The only firewall related information you've provided in your posts has been:

> I selected the option to have it let Retrospect communicate through the firewall.

- What was the state/status/setting of your Leopard firewall before you did the install?

- What contortions have you already gone through in relation to firewall settings on the problem install?

The status of the firewall was as on a brand new from apple machine, with my user settings copied from my old Tiger laptop. I have not gone through any "contortions". I never had to do anything with all the other clients I've installed on my 5 other machines (all running on the same network.)

I've looked in System Preferences > Security > Firewall (on the Leopard client). It has "allow all incoming connections" selected. Isn't that as "open" as you can get?

Incidentally, you recommended before to define subvolumes and see if they could be backed up. I'm assuming you mean, by using the Immediate Backup window (example), click on Sources, select the Leopard Client's Hard Drive, and click the Subvolume button? When I try this, I get the same "Net Retry..." BS, even though the Client is mounted on my host computer. I am unable to define a Subvolume on the Leopard Client, unless there is some other way that I don't know about. Thanks.

retropds.?? is a process that runs only when client backup is occurring.

As the client is updated from time to time, the extension changes (for reasons I don't know; I think it is whimsical on the part of the programmer who wrote / maintains the client, but the extension has changed with major releases of Retrospect). It was retropds.22 with Retrospect 6.0.x, retropds.23 with Retrospect 6.1.x, etc. Perhaps this was done so that Dantz/Insignia/EMC could figure out what version of the client you were running, or so that the proper client backup process would be launched to match the Retrospect server. Who knows.

You can get a clue to how it's used by viewing the cShutdown.py Python script in /Library/Preferences on the clients if you've got that add-on installed to shut down the client after backups occur. It's a clever hack; you can open the script in any text editor and look at it. See also the release notes for the cShutdown.py script:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7970&p=2

I worked with Walter Reed to debug/test/fix this script a couple of years back when it broke upon the release of Retrospect 6.1.x - the older version of the script was looking for a specific version of retropds.??, and the present version looks for any version of retropds. Again, see the release notes for the cShutdown.py script. I miss Walter.

Quote:

I do not have a retropds.23 file in my client.app, at all:

Actually, this might be the first clue we have toward why this problem is occurring for some people and not for others. See my discussion above. If you don't have retropds.23 installed, then you are running an older version of the client.

Russ

Quote:

Actually, this might be the first clue we have toward why this problem is occurring for some people and not for others. See my discussion above. If you don't have retropds.23 installed, then you are running an older version of the client.

Thanks, but this is simply not true. I have installed the latest version from Retrospect's downloads area. 6.1.130.

If you read my post throughly above, you will see that the 6.1.130 RC on my Tiger machine has a retropds 22,23,24. The 6.1.130 RC on my Leopard machine does not. There is no "later" version. Downloaded from this page:

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/#UPDATETYPE8

Secondly, I do not believe there is anything "whimsical" about the the 22,23,24. The installer for the RC creates retropds.22 during the installation process, when it asks you to provide a password that will be used to access the client. (You can quite clearly see the installation progress bar pause on the retropds.22 file as it asks you to supply the client's password.) retropds.24 is quite clearly created and accessed when you log-in to the client from the host computer, during configuration operations. It is created the first time, then run on subsequent configuration operations. (Upon initial installation, the file is not in the Contents/Resources folder. The first time you run the configuration, you can see it being created, and you can see it appear in the list of processes.) It appears that retropds.23 is used during scanning operations.

This is just my guess, but it would seem that these 3 extensions have the following duties/purposes:

retropds.22 - stores/handles the password for the client

retropds.23 - used during scanning operations

retropds.24 - used during configuration operations

Hence, my client appears to "work" for all practical purposes of logging in to it, configuring it, etc. But it fails on scanning since retropds.23 is either not installed, or not created during the first scan.

The other difference of note is the presence of a "firewallcon2" file in the Leopard client, vs. a "firewallcon" file in the Tiger client. Perhaps this is somehow preventing the retropds.23 from being created/installed...who knows.... EMC?

I asked for some engineering input on this and this is the engineering point of view:

It is a big problem if the user does not have a downloadable service file in the

clients /Contents/Resources directory.

We write a fresh retropds.xx if there is none or if the current one appears

out of date, and the fact that we can not write the file to disk indicates

there is either a permissions problem with the client or a problem with the

file system on the client volume. Maybe pitond is not running as root. Maybe

the /Contents/Resources directory has an acl set that does not allow pitond

to do what it needs to do.

There are a bunch of factors involved, but the bottom line is retropds.xx is

not being written to disk and key is to find out what factors are preventing

that.

Quote:

Thanks, but this is simply not true. I have installed the latest version from Retrospect's downloads area. 6.1.130.

If you read my post throughly above, you will see that the 6.1.130 RC on my Tiger machine has a retropds 22,23,24. The 6.1.130 RC on my Leopard machine does not. There is no "later" version.

This is the first information that you have provided in all of your posts as to the specific version of Retrospect client that you installed on any of your computers. I did take the time to read your posts thoroughly before responding. Admitted, I did reach the wrong conclusion because you had not provided any version information. Perhaps you are the rare person who knows what "latest" version means; we've gone back and forth trying to help many posters who insist that they have the "latest" version without providing any version information. And, when new clients are released and someone is searching these forums to try to troubleshoot their problems, a mention of having the "latest" version with no version information is misleading; these posts persist for years, across many releases.

Sorry for trying to help. Regardless, if you don't have a full install (for whatever reason), you don't have the "latest" client installed. Good luck.

Russ

Quote:

The status of the firewall was as on a brand new from apple machine, with my user settings copied from my old Tiger laptop.

How were your old setting copied? Did you use Migration Assistant?

The new firewall in Leopard has caused much confusion in the Mac user community (of which I'm not at all well versed). A fresh Leopard install becomes less-fresh after running Migration Assistant to import settings.

It's tempting to suggest you copy over the retropds.23 from your Tiger machine, match unix attributes, and try again....

Dave

Quote:

We write a fresh retropds.xx if there is none or if the current one appears

out of date, and the fact that we can not write the file to disk indicates

there is either a permissions problem with the client or a problem with the

file system on the client volume.

Thank you for the response. Below are the permissions of the Retrospect Client:

drwxrwxr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jan 8 23:35 Retrospect Client.app

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 8 23:35 Contents

./Contents/Resources:

total 3184

drwxrwxr-x 15 root wheel 510 Jan 8 23:43 .

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 8 23:35 ..

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 15648 Apr 6 2006 EMC_client_logo.tiff

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 8 23:35 English.lproj

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 8 23:35 French.lproj

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 8 23:35 German.lproj

drwxrwxr-x 7 root wheel 238 Jan 8 23:35 Japanese.lproj

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 47436 Apr 6 2006 RetroClient.icns

drwxrwxr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jan 8 23:35 busco.app

drwxrwxr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jan 8 23:35 defer.app

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 27872 Sep 20 2005 firewallcon2

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 22740 Apr 6 2006 icon.tiff

-rwsrwxr-x 1 root wheel 490336 Apr 6 2006 pitond

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 632196 Apr 6 2006 retropds.22

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 381344 Jan 12 2007 retropds.24

Would the 'wheel' group have anything to do with it? I notice that on my Tiger machine, these files all have a group of 'admin'.

Also, is there any significance to 'firewallcon2' (Leopard) vs. 'firewallcon' (Tiger) ?

Quote:

Maybe pitond is not running as root.

pitond is running as root, I'm looking at it in the "all processes" list of Apple's Activity Monitor.

Quote:

Maybe the /Contents/Resources directory has an acl set that does not allow pitond

How would I determine this and do something about it?

Quote:

Quote:

The status of the firewall was as on a brand new from apple machine, with my user settings copied from my old Tiger laptop.

How were your old setting copied? Did you use Migration Assistant?

Yes.

Quote:

The new firewall in Leopard has caused much confusion in the Mac user community (of which I'm not at all well versed). A fresh Leopard install becomes less-fresh after running Migration Assistant to import settings.

But are there more firewall settings than the ones in the System Preferences > Security > Firewall? I have it set to allow all connections any time, as far as I know.

Quote:

It's tempting to suggest you copy over the retropds.23 from your Tiger machine, match unix attributes, and try again....

I may try this, but it doesn't get at the 'root' (hehe) of the problem.

- Stephen

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe the /Contents/Resources directory has an acl set that does not allow pitond

How would I determine this and do something about it?

in Terminal:

Code:

man ls

From the man page:

Code:

-e      Print the Access Control List (ACL) associated with the file, if present.

Russ

Quote:

Code:

-e      Print the Access Control List (ACL) associated with the file, if present.

Thanks! Never used that one before.

Anyway, after checking all directories, the only relevant entry printed by this has to do with the /Applications directory that the Retrospect Client lives in:

drwxrwxr-x+ 111 root admin 3774 Jan 9 14:22 Applications

0: group:everyone deny delete

The RC itself, and all of the files inside it, do not show any ACLs.

Does this mean anything?

I'm beginning to think maybe I should wipe the drive and do a fresh install. A bit difficult, since I've used the machine for 5 days, and I have to make sure I migrate any changed files. But perhaps something got whacked during the migration of my old laptop settings. I don't understand why some files have the 'wheel' group and some files have the 'admin' group, although I'm not UNIX-savvy enough to know exactly what this would mean...

Quote:

But are there more firewall settings than the ones in the System Preferences > Security > Firewall?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I have read that yes, there are. But there is no Leopard supplied GUI to manipulate them.

I'm out of my depth here, so all I can offer is that seeing this behavior on a true "clean" install would be a different test then seeing this behavior on a machine that has had configurations modified (by Migration Assistant) in advance of the software being installed.