Express takes FOREVER to start backup

pwhatley

I purchased Backup Express to back up my laptop harddrive. I am backing up to an external firewire harddrive (backing up to a file). When I try a backup, I get to the screen where it says "Preparing To Execute" and it stays there. When I had the 2.7 version of the driver, it would usually hang there for 15 or 20 minutes before beginning any type of backup. I just upgraded to version 3.0 driver and it has been 45 minutes "Preparing to Execute" I went ahead and aborted out and decided to post to this forum.

Does anybody else have this problem??

• 6 months later...

Try the following, which should help out:

Windows XP has a "System Restore" feature turned on by default. To increase backup stability try turn off "System Restore" from System Properties for "all drives" by going to: Control Panels > System > System Restore. Restart when done.

I have had this exact same problem so I will try out the above solution later tonight.

Here is what happened to me.......

I completed my first backup OK. However 6 days later I tried to do an incremental (Normal) backup. It scanned my 33,000+ files and then gave me the msg "Preparing to Execute...." I could hear my external (Buslink USB2.0) being accessed. So I left it. More than 1 hour later, it eventually started copying files. I watched it for awhile and it got through about 3/4 of the way done when it just hung on a file and stopped copying. (I don't think the file was the issue.)

However, the drive continued to be accessed. It was humming and you could hear the read/write heads moving. 1/2 hour later I eventually clicked the STOP button and confirmed the stopping of my backup. However, control of the Retrospect was never given back to me and the drive continued to be accessed.

More than 1 hour later, I gave up and cut the power to the drive. Windows gave me an error message saying that I lost data saving the file H:\$MFT and then I was given access back to Retrospect where it brought up the main menu tabs.

Another thing I noticed. There were only two files on my external drive both named Backup Set A with different ext. One was 11GB and the other was 20KB. Before I started the backup, I confirmed that I had 27GB left. There are no hidden files I am aware of. However when I checked in My Computer after the above issues, it said my drive only had 5.6GB left. Still no hidden files. Something must have been copying on my drive during those endless hours. I am still perplexed by this.

I am running XP professional on a 1.5Ghz Intel machine. My external hard drive is a 40GB Buslink USB2.0. I am using Retrospect Express 5.6.127

If anyone has any ideas on what is going on other than the Windows Restore solution already mentioned, I would most appreciate a resonse.

MIKE

Archived