Problems with DAT Library and Ultrium device

I have problems using an HP 40x6 DAT Library and one Ultrium device. I use Retrospect Multi Server 7.5 (Windows)

When i start a backup job, retrospect tries to find the backup tapes (for Example: 1-test). But then nothing happen. If you try to stop the process now, it doesnt react. The only way to kill the task is by using the task manager. I found out that when I use the feature of the advanced tape support (only test licence) it works by directly selecting the library. But I dont want to use the Ultrium device and the DAT library simultanously, so there should be no need to buy an advance support licence. Any ideas how I can fix that problem?

Another thing that make me wonder is that the library itself and the DAT drive from the library is shown with the same LUN number in the devices menu. At boot up the library has LUN 1 and the DAT drive LUN 0.

Hope anybody can help me.

Thanking in advance

Interesting...

What does Retrospect report the library as in Configure>Devices>Environment? If this is a device that was added with an older version of Retrospect (pre-7.0) you might just need to switch to ASPI rather than using NT Passthrough.

I don't see you mention which OS you're on, so I'm going to assume it's either XP or 2003. For either of these you need to first install ASPI, the installer can be found in Program Files/Retrospect/Retrospect 7.5/aspiinst.exe. This will require a reboot. After that runs, run the aspichk.exe application located in the same directory and make sure it says "ASPI is installed and fully operational." Then, in Retrospect, go to Configure>Preferences>Media Handling and enable the last option "Use ASPI to communicate with devices." Then exit and re-launch Retrospect. In Configure>Devices>Environment, Retrospect should confirm your settings by displaying a message saying "Devices visible using ASPI..."

Let us know if this helps.

Quote:

I believe that your Tape drive and the Tape library need to be on the same SCSI bus for them to talk to eachother.

Sure, the library and the tape drive itself is on the same scsi controller ... (its only one scsi connector for the whole device)

Quote:

Interesting...

What does Retrospect report the library as in Configure>Devices>Environment? If this is a device that was added with an older version of Retrospect (pre-7.0) you might just need to switch to ASPI rather than using NT Passthrough.

I don't see you mention which OS you're on, so I'm going to assume it's either XP or 2003. For either of these you need to first install ASPI, the installer can be found in Program Files/Retrospect/Retrospect 7.5/aspiinst.exe. This will require a reboot. After that runs, run the aspichk.exe application located in the same directory and make sure it says "ASPI is installed and fully operational." Then, in Retrospect, go to Configure>Preferences>Media Handling and enable the last option "Use ASPI to communicate with devices." Then exit and re-launch Retrospect. In Configure>Devices>Environment, Retrospect should confirm your settings by displaying a message saying "Devices visible using ASPI..."

If i switch on ASPI mode, the library disappears ... Only the tape drive is shown and the ultrium device ... I think its because the library and the tape drive use the same SCSI ID, they only use a different LUN number. Does ASPI support different LUNs? Because it shows just devices with LUN 0 ...

The operation system is Windows XP.

So, if you look at Configure>Devices>Environment, the tape library and the drive in the library are shown at (for example) 2:2:0 and 2:2:1? The second number indicates the scsi id and the third indicates lun. If it is the second number that is different, then it is non-integrated and you should set the id's to 2 for the drive and 5 for the library.

What device is this? What is listed under Product on the Environment tab?

• 2 weeks later...