Hi.

Running Retrospect 6.1.126, Driver Update 6.1.3.101, Mac OS 10.4.4, PowerMac G4 dual 1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, external LaCie Firewire DVD burner, actual drive is Pioneer DVR-110, TDK 8x DVD-R discs, no software compression.

When backing up the internal drive (called "Mac OS X"), the following sequence of events repeats itself:

Message "Copying Mac OS X", file names "counting" in the window, DVD drive idle, duration 10 secs.

Message "Writing to Disc", no file names showing, DVD drive active (most of the time), duration 20 secs.

Question: Since the bottleneck is the DVD drive, why isn't Retrospect making sure the drive isn't idling when "Copying Mac OS X"????

Regards

Lennart

Update:

I just tried the internal DVD burner, Pioneer DVR-106, and does NOT have the same problem. That drive is constantly active. What gives?

Quote:

Hi

The device notes say that DVD+ media is faster on a few of the DVR-110 drives we tested.

I wonder if that is what is wrong here?

Thanks

Nate

Hi.

I noticed that, too. But what is faster?

10% faster? 20% faster? I can live with that.

Twice as fast? Now it's getting serious. But since the DVR-110 in theory is 4 times faster than the 106, it would STILL be twice as fast as the 106, but it isn't.

But it still doesn't explain why Retrospect keeps the drive idling instead of having it active all the time.

Regards

Lennart

• 1 month later...

I've tried this external drive on two other Macs. No idling, but verify is SLOW, just 70MB/min.

I also noticed the the processor runs at 100% all the time.

Still want an answer to how much faster DVD+R media would be compared to DVD-R.

Quote:

Quote:

Uh, why not try it and see?

Dave

Hi.

Because Dantz wrote the remark and should know the answer.

Also because I would like to avoid DVD+R media, since I have several burners that doesn't support it.

Third reason is that media isn't consistent. I found that Fuji 8x DVD-R discs are faster than TDK 8x DVD-R discs. Go figure.

Regards

Lennart

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Uh, why not try it and see?

Dave

Because Dantz wrote the remark and should know the answer.

media isn't consistent. I found that Fuji 8x DVD-R discs are faster than TDK 8x DVD-R discs. Go figure.

hi lennart,

i think that's the reason you won't get a definitive answer from EMC. Note that not only are media inconsistent, but performance can vary widely from device to device. your best bet may actually be to test this.

Quote:

hi lennart,

i think that's the reason you won't get a definitive answer from EMC. Note that not only are media inconsistent, but performance can vary widely from device to device. your best bet may actually be to test this.

Hi.

OK, let's drop that and go back to the main question:

Since the DVD burner is the bottleneck, why does Retrospect allow the burner to idle?

The duty cycle should be 100%, but is only 67%.

Regards

Lennart

Archived