multiple tape drives + others

To whom it may concern,

I have recently installed both a Mac and PC versions of Retrospect (workgroups) in our facility.  My questions below are important to our operation and I would be appreiciative if someone out there or Dantz technical support folks can answer them ASAP.

Thank you,

B. Ross

>>-----

Questions;

1) Would it be possible (Mac and PC) to open a second application (or does the existing software support) for having a second (third or forth) tape drive in use, such as in Loader unit?

This would make it possible to have 2,3 or 4 symultainious backups or retores taking place at one time.

2) Does Retrospect presently, or in the future support reading Barcodes (from AIT tapes in a Loader), and if so, have cross appl. support use with MS Excel or Access for dbase inventory, etc.?

3) Will Retrospect now or in the future provide lining or starting other applications (such as a customized machine ope. script) upon start or quiting upon quit?

4) In the windows version, I noticed that when a new tape is requetsed, that there is know button to choose the next tape (other than "Erase") which forces you to perform an Erase twice, in order to just choose the next tape?  Is this correct?

Not very friendly!

Thank you,

B. Ross

For quick answers, check our Knowledgebase. This can often provide you with (at least some) answers much more quickly than waiting for a forum response, or even calling support.

> 1) Would it be possible (Mac and PC) to open a second application (or does the existing

> software support) for having a second (third or forth) tape drive in use, such as in

> Loader unit? This would make it possible to have 2,3 or 4 symultainious backups or

> retores taking place at one time.

Retrospect can presently only write to (or read from) a single device at a time.

> 2) Does Retrospect presently, or in the future support reading Barcodes (from AIT tapes

> in a Loader), and if so, have cross appl. support use with MS Excel or Access for dbase

> inventory, etc.?

Presently, no, but we do hape to add this is a future release.

> 3) Will Retrospect now or in the future provide lining or starting other applications (such

> as a customized machine ope. script) upon start or quiting upon quit?

Retrospect is fully scriptable using AppleScript, so with a little familiarity with AppleScripting, you could write scripts to do this (assuming the other applications/operations are scriptable as well).

> 4) In the windows version, I noticed that when a new tape is requetsed, that there is know

> button to choose the next tape (other than "Erase") which forces you to perform an Erase

> twice, in order to just choose the next tape?  Is this correct?

> Not very friendly!

If I start a backup that requires a new tape, I do get a dialog box with a proceed button. Can you give steps to reproduce?

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 9 months later...

Archived