Retrospect Express CD-r/w Backup

okcdusty03

Many users of CD-R/w have been waiting for a dependable backup utility. A few of the industry leaders have withdrawn their products from the market. Dantz has given us the priviledge of paying $40 plus dollars to do their Beta Testing for them while they read the comments from this forum. Retrospect Express CD backup is not ready for Prime Time. It is obvious from the number of problems in this forum. The majority of purchers of Retrospect Express are the "Quiet Majority" and write the experience off as a bad mistake. I am one of those also, but I thought I would add my two cents. After working with Retrospect Express for a week (trying all the suggestions of the forum), I have removed the application from my system and will wait until Dantz makes it work (???). It is strange that Dantz blames most of the problems on the CD burner or on the media, however, Pre-Mastering/Mastering software or programs that provide for under-run protection, don't miss a beat burning the same files that Retrospect Express bombs on! Makes you wonder dosen't it. Keep trying though, and give me a free upgrade when you solve the problem.

I think that's a bit harsh on Dantz...

They give us the opportunity to download and try out their software for 30 days before we hand over any money, so we *do* have the opportunity to try it out in anger, and to bug the hell out of Melissa here with our problems.

Its unfortunate, in theory, that they've chosen to withdraw free tech support, but in practice it was the klutz I had the misfortune to be asigned to last time that turned me off their product, so maybe its no big loss. Melissa's a lot more responsive.

Having said that, I do agree that there *do* appear to be some issues with CD writing that Dantz are not being totally open about and that these *do* impact on an otherwise outstanding product.

I have heard it suggested that other products that do packet writing without problems -- or at least as many problems as Retrospect users seem to encounter -- are not quite as careful as the Dantz software, but I have no way of knowing if this is true. Even if it is, it doesn't help the product actually work...

My 0.02 €.

Ian

I did the free download version. It was the only succsessful backup I ever got (only one coaster, error 203). I was happy so I bought Retrospect Express and I passed the info along to a friend who bought two copies. I uninstalled the free version and installed the new one. I have never gotten past one CD-R since (about 30 coasters trying different suggestions different media etc., all error 203). In case there was something wrong with the purchased version, I uninstalled it and re-installed the trial version. No joy, error 203! All error 203's come while Retrospect is processing the same large file and appears as though the burner is not being fed fast enough. I tried turning off compression and doing it again. I just got to a different place before error 203. So I decided to try backing up to my 250 meg Zip. Retrospect got to the end of the first disk and sat there "Writing Index Mark". I had to give it the three finger salute (Alt Ctrl Del) to stop it.

I am runnining Win 98 and a Brand New Plextor 24/10/40A. No other software has any problem burning the same files to the drive except for Retrospect. The friend I convinced to buy Retrospect has installed his first copy and receives error 105 (unexpected end of data). He is running WIN ME and also has had no problems burning with any other software and is not real happy with me. I have seen the suggestions on uninstalling all other backup software from your system, however, if this is the problem, then I have to give Retrospect a report card of "Dosen't Play Well With Others". It should not be necessary to disassemble your system to be able to run one application and so I will stand by my first statement that Retrospect is "Not Ready For Prime Time".

Yes, I too had suggestions of "uninstall other software on your machine"... If it only works on a machine without any other software on it, I wondered what I was meant to be backing up!

Yes, clearly that's a ludicrous suggestion, and Tech Support should stop making it, if they haven't already, apart from to test if the "other" software (usually from Adaptec, now Roxio, with a historically bad record in the "playing well with others" department) is indeed the problem.

Also, unless Dantz has redefined packet writing, the process is inherintly safe against buffer underrun, so a big file shouldn't cause more problems than a little one.

But indeed there does seem to be a real problem. I think we should wait to see what Melissa has to say on Monday. Maybe she could encourage some developers to join in too?

Ian

ps. The fact that you also had problems writing to your Zip drive suggests that, in your case, the problem might well not be connected to CD writing all. How did you configure your Zip drive in Retrospect?

pps. Anyone who tries doing *anything* under ME is taking a chance. Its got to be the worst option going right now... (just my 0,02 € !)

Ian

The 203 error is a hardware error reported by the drive.

Try turning off Auto-Insert Notification in the device manager for Windows 98 users.

Make sure you are using a major media brand, like TDK. Use a brand suggested by the drive company. We often point fingers at media, because it makes a huge difference for customers, especially when using media not suggested by the drive company.

OK! I took the advice and believed that Roxio could be the culprit, so I removed Roxio and Retrospect and re-installed Retrospect alone. I was encuraged through the first 1 1/2 CD's and it was ejected with error 203 (a couple of times). I will "Endeavor To Persevere", but it is beginning to feel like it is more trouble than it is worth---specially if I have to get rid of my primary data burner for a backup application. IOMEGA still does a marvelous job but expensive as my disk grows.

Mayoff --

I run with AIN *on*, but use TweakUI to stop Windows launching whatever utility has taken its fancy that particular day.

Turning AIN *off* has 'oribble consequences for certain other products, such as Roxio's packet writing software which, love it or loath it, is a near-standard due to its being given away free with new cd writers.

(I did try turning AIN off once before when trying out Retrospect, but it didn't solve any of the problems I was having at that time.)

Ian

Archived