"STOP" error message when doing a Disaster Recovery

prburris

I’m trying to “test” my Disaster Recovery with the bootable DVD created with the Retrospect Express software that came with my Store-It 1.8” 20 G portable hard drive.

(About Retrospect Express)

OEM Express

Version 7.5.324

Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.6.105

O.S. = XP Pro SP2 Tablet Edition

When I try to reboot my laptop using the bootable DVD everything seems to go fine until it says “Starting Windows” then this blue STOP error message comes up:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen,

restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow

these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer, remove any newly installed

hard drives or hard drive controllers, check your hard drive

to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then

restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C7A524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)"

I tried it again and the same message came up. I checked my computer for viruses and there are none, I don’t have any newly installed hard drives or controllers, in fact I performed this test right after creating the backup set and bootable disk, so nothing has changed. I ran CHKDSK /F and my hard drive has no corruption. I restarted and tried the test again and the same STOP message came up.

I thought maybe it was because I had Windows setup to require a password to access it. I went into User Accounts and removed my password so that Windows now boots up without asking for a password. Then I deleted my backup set and reformatted the DVD disk (NTFS format) to erase everything. Then I created a new backup set and created a new bootable DVD disk. I tried testing it again and the same blue STOP message came up.

My laptop starts rebooting from the DVD disk just like it is supposed to. The bottom of the screen shows it is loading all of the system files and drivers, but when it gets to the end where it says “Starting Windows” it immediately goes to that blue message screen. I eject the DVD, turn off the power, turn it back on, my laptop boots up and Windows loads just fine from the internal hard drive.

What could I be doing wrong?

Hi,

The Disaster Recovery image created with Retrospect is an image that should be burned to CD, not DVD. Is this a typo or did you manage to burn it to DVD? Are you using the original Windows installation disc as the source for installation software for DR creation? I don't know if DR has been tested with tablet edition, I wonder if the hardware conflict has something to do with this.

Thanks for your response.

No, its not a typo. I wanted something small enough to slip into the Store-It hard drive storage pouch along with the hard drive just to keep them together. This way I don’t have to keep track of a separate large CD case as well as the hard drive. I'm using a “mini” DVD because it is small enough to slip into the Store-It storage pouch (DVD inside a vinyl sleeve) and it holds enough data (1.4 G) to burn the .ISO file and also store some applications, where as a mini CD (185 to 210 MB) does not and I want to avoid having to keep track of multiple loose items. Is there any way to get around this or am I stuck with using a larger CD?

I didn't use the original installation disc as the source, I created the .ISO from the C drive so that Windows, MS Office suite, and my wireless network settings would have all of my personal settings and modifications so I wouldn't have to go through the process of setting everything up again.

Archived