Fix for files > 2GB?

bhayes

Is there any kind of fix in the works for backing up files larger than 2GB across a network from a Mac client to a Mac server, preferably a fix that will work with OS 9? (If you are unaware of this issue, Retrospect Workgroup v. 5 running on OS 9.2.2 will not back up files that are larger than 2GB from Mac clients running Retrospect Client 5. Files over 2GB can only be backed up locally--very inconvenient.)

Bob

>>>Retrospect Workgroup v. 5 running on OS 9.2.2 will not back up files that are larger than 2GB from Mac clients running Retrospect Client 5. Files over 2GB can only be backed up locally--very inconvenient.) <<<<

Actually this is incorrect.

If you have Computer A running Retrospect 5.0, and Computer B running Retrospect client 5.0, you can backup 2gb and larger files that are found on the client.

The 2gb limit that isn't fixes is if (in the scenario above) Computer A had 2gb + files, and you were backing them up to Computer B (using a File backupset). Then there would be the 2gb network limit. The key is saving it on a Network drive will cause the 2gb limit. But if it's coming back to the same machine that Retrospect is installed on - then no 2gb limit anymore with version 5.

I disagree--files over 2GB will not verify when backed up from Computer B to Computer A and cannot be restored to Computer B, only to the host Computer A, when using a Sony AIT-2 tape library. Check out my post of 4/25 in the Mac OS 9/Desktop & Workgroup forum, with subject "Files over 2 GB - lots of weirdness" for full details of my plight.

Restoring these large files that were never verified to the tape server (insufficient drive space because I'm using an old beige G3--do I have to buy a new mac to be the tape server?) or physically moving the tape library to the client (that's fun) are workarounds, but they're lame, inconvenient workarounds.

Files over 2GB are poorly supported, if at all, in Retrospect Workgroup. Dantz is pretty much the only game in town for Mac backup, and we went with Retrospect because we didn't want to run a Windoze tape server with Mac client software that is just added as an afterthought. So instead, I have a Mac solution that doesn't really work as advertised and can't handle the large files it needs to handle. And Dantz is sort of in denial about this. After searching all the available help resources I had no answer, so I opened a tech support case (for a fee, later refunded supposedly) and after about 30 minutes I was told this is a known issue and they have no idea when it might be fixed. Why isn't in the FAQ? Are we the only company that's working with large files? I doubt that.

Color me unhappy and without choices.

Bob

Archived