error 512 on client setup

dherder

My environment is as follows:

Backup Server 5.6 running on W2KPro

Client 5.0 running on OSX on TiPB 500

LinkSys 4pt router with port 497 open on both IPs (server and mac)

Upon configuring clients, i am unable to maintain a connection to the client (mac). I have pinged the mac from the pc and vice versa and have a 100% packet transmission. The exact error that I am getting when trying to set up the client is "Error -512 Incompatible version".

I have searched for info about this error to no avail... what am I doing wrong??

dave

• 3 weeks later...

This kind of information would be useful on the product pages that I read before purchasing a client license pack this morning.

The desktop backup page says:

Back up more networked computers by purchasing Retrospect Clients, available in 5, 10, 50, and 100 user packs. Supports Windows 95, 98, Me, NT® 4.0 Workstation, 2000 Professional, XP Home Edition, XP Professional, and Macintosh PowerPC computer

OS X clients will be supported in the next Windows release which is due out this summer. There is no exact date yet. You can read the recent Press Release that announced it at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=pr_062502

In the meantime, you can consider purchasing Express for the OS X machines, or setting up another backup system with a Mac server. Making the choice to upgrade your operating system means that those computers, for the time being, cannot be added to your old backup system.

Archived