Retrospect Express HD unable to get volume information

sherritp

Loading Retrospect Express HD 1.0 the software hangs on 'Updating Status...' and will remain there for hours. I've un/reinstalled the Maxtor drivers and Retrospect software twice following all reboot instructions but get the same issue. I've deleted the preferences file without help (these suggestions from http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=56172&Main=53574).

Digging into the problem I see errors in the Operations_Log.utx:

+ $[15]Retrospect Express HD$[16] version

Automatically launched at 12/14/2005 10:35 PM

Exit at 12/14/2005 10:37 PM

vstorDetach: invalid handle

+ $[15]Retrospect Express HD$[16] version

Automatically launched at 12/14/2005 10:39 PM

TPCVol: :GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, D:\, winerr 55, error -1102

(there's not a space between the two :'s--added it to avoid appl.gif)

Is this helpful? I began a backup last week, but the backup files were being written to my c:\ not the Maxtor USB drive. The problems I've been seeing have happened after I deleted the c:\Retrospect Backup Folder (or something similar to that name).

Thanks for any help,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed 1.0 from my Maxtor One Touch 11 CD had have the excact same problem as listed here. Its on a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook with windows 2000 pro.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the HD and softeware 4 times and still it never shows the registration screen and when the one touch or retrospect HD is used it just hangs on the menu stuck on the welcome to retrospect ex HD screen, You push the setup button and nothing happens, none of the buttons work except X out.

I installed the 1.1 version and the same problem exists.

I installed the 1.0 in my windows 98 desktop and it works perfect.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem: "Welcome to Retrospect Express HD for the Maxtor OneTouch . Updating status..." and then it hangs. Nothing happens when I press the setup button.

This happens after having pressed the OneTouch button and selected the drive.

I have tried uninstalling several times with the drive on/off/connected/disconnected. But still it hangs. I didn't manage to find any logs under "C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect Express HD"

Can someone please help?

Kind Regards,

George

In your post you mentioned that "I repaired and reinstalled again.... Will you tell me how you "repaired" your files. Do you have a "tools" appplication? I am having a problem with backup to a Maxtor II external drive and it is requiring that I use "Tools" to repair my files. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks. CDaugherty

• 1 year later...

I had this problem. I finally found this on the "seagate.custhelp.com" Knowledge Base:

Problem:

There is a bug in Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 that could contribute to the Updating status… error you get with Retrospect Express HD.

Solution: To solve this problem upgrade to Retrospect HD 1.1.

Please see Answer ID 2647: Installing the EMC Retrospect Express HD 1.1 Upgradefor the download and installation instructions.

Installing this upgrade corrected my problem. I'm creating a new backup as we speak.

Archived