Question on how the software works

I'm currently sourcing for a new backup software for my company and came across this one. As most of us usually works with rather large files(4-5gb), I'm trying to find a software that does differential backups on the changes made to the particular file and not save the entire file instead. can someone tell me if the Dantz backup does that or does it just backup the entire file whenever I make changes

As a software developer, I often compare versions of the source code files (which are text files). All the tools I have tried have a hard time getting itself in sync after the changes. How many lines were actually inserted? How many were deleted?

In Retrospect's world, this must be much more difficult with binary files for instance. They don't have line breaks like a text file, so there is nothing appearing in the file at (more or less) regular intervals that can help get the comparison in sync again.

Let's say Retrospect encounters a byte that is different. Does that mean a byte has been added? Or deleted? The total file size may be unchanged, so that isn't a clue. Or does it mean 2 bytes has been added? Or 3, 4 , 32643 or even 654321 bytes. Followed 200 bytes further down the file by 654321 bytes deleted.

Do you see the problems?

Retrospect has no alternative but to backup the whole file again.

Hi

Retrospect is designed with easy restore in mind. It takes longer, but backing up an entire file after it has changed will minimize the media changes required to perform restores. Basically, the extra time you invest in your backups pays off when you need to restore.

For block based file replication you might want to consider EMC Replistor. There are details and trial versions available at the EMC Dantz web site.

http://www.dantz.com/en/products/replistor/index.dtml

Thanks

nate

Archived