Slow Brick level backup

Retro:

Server/catalog files:

Dell PE 2650 (Windows Server 2000)

2 gig ram

Array/storage:

EMC CX 300

Gig Eth. to everything - except: backup servers are fibre to the array.

Exchange 2003 (on Windows Server 2003) with Retro 7.5.116

Yes - it has always run slow.

We are backing up bricklevel and the store. Bricklevel nightly...store incremental daily/full weekly.

<note - I received an assertion error on the mailboxes last night - I don't know at what point in the script the job failed!!!>

The update of the application effects other items that aren't a concern...that's why I havn't updated. If the update text was relevent - I would update.

The stores are backing up at a high speed....it's only the brick level.

Have I done any trouble shooting....I'm trying too...the brick level is the only thing running slow on our back up.

Quote:

The update of the application effects other items that aren't a concern...that's why I havn't updated. If the update text was relevent - I would update.

And you KNOW there is NOTHING in the updated version that would affect your problem?? I don't think so. I don't even think the EMC Retrospect developers themselves know that.

Why don't you just update? What have you got to lose?

The last time I did an update - it cost me extra time to uninstall the update - because the update had a problem!!! If the developers don't even know...and the update text is not complete......then I need to be looking at another companyies product. Again - the only thing running slow is brick level...the storage gorups are ok.

Quote:

The last time I did an update - it cost me extra time to uninstall the update - because the update had a problem!!!

Then just keep a copy of the current version, should you need to revert.

Quote:

If the developers don't even know...and the update text is not complete......then I need to be looking at another companyies product.

I can tell you are not a developer. You won't find ANY software in the world where a developer knows EVERY implication of the change he/she just made.

Quote:

If the update text was relevent - I would update.

Let me bluntly put it this way:

You come here asking for help, but then you refuse to perform the most basic step in troubleshooting: Trying the latest version. Chances are the problem is already fixed (even if it is not explicitly pointed out in the release notes).

Quote:

Quote:

If the update text was relevent - I would update.

Let me bluntly put it this way:

You come here asking for help, but then you refuse to perform the most basic step in troubleshooting: Trying the latest version. Chances are the problem is already fixed (even if it is not explicitly pointed out in the release notes).

If you refer to my first post I asked one question: "Are there any setting I could address to speed this up?"

As far as trying the other items. Yes, at this point I am not willing do an update as I had to to go through a complete reinstall of my backup system the last time that happened. Right now I have only 1 component that seems to be an issue. The basic step of trying the latest version cost me 2 days of grief the last time.

Per a suggestion, I looked at the acount settings - the user we had was in the Schema group and others...I have set up a new ID for testing the Exchange back-ups. It seem that the new ID can connect to the Store just fine - but I get an authentician error on the bricklevel. rolleyes3grem1.gif

In the 2d world of forums it may appear differently, however, I do appreciate the help.

Quote:

If you refer to my first post I asked one question: "Are there any setting I could address to speed this up?"

If that really is the only question you want answered, I say: "No, I don't think so." wink.gif

As for SOLVING your speed problem, I don't have any more ideas. Sorry.

Quote:

Quote:

Have you run Exchange utilities lately to check for any corruption?

I'm sorry to (sort of) threadjack here, but where do I find these utilities, exactly? What are their names? What problems can they correct?

I was referring to the built-in Exchange utilities eseutil and isinteg. I am not an Exchange administrator, and I think a lesson on that subject would be a little out of place here. You can find some basic functional information here:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-ISINTEG-ESEUTIL.html

Quote:

[i was referring to the built-in Exchange utilities eseutil and isinteg. I am not an Exchange administrator, and I think a lesson on that subject would be a little out of place here. You can find some basic functional information here:

Great.

Thanks! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif