RDB File Problem

boballah

I backed up my computer last night using Retrospect 7.0 Pro to a Maxtor OneTouch II drive (not using Maxtor's branded program, using real Retrospect 7.0 here). The program made a series of 600mb .RDB files on the drive. I formatted my machine (WinXP, all updates installed) and when I installed Retrospect I suddenly couldn't do anything with the .RDB files I have!

I've searched through and seen many posts about 'Recreate from disk' to remake the .RBC file I need for Retrospect to work. Unfortunately none of these options have worked for me. Retrospect won't recognize the .RDB files as a backup set so I can't recreate a .RBC file (that Retrospect never even made in the first place).

HELP!

hi bob,

can you give the hierarchy of the directories that the .rdb files are in on the external drive?

they should be like this: (lettered drive name):\Retrospect\Name of Backup Set\1-Name of Backup Set\(.rdb files)

if you've moved them, you should try to recreate the hierarchy. then, 'tools->repair catatlog->recreate from disks, double click on "my computer" and highlight the external drive and click "ok"' then save that catalog somewhere safe. you should be able to restore at that point.

hi bob,

reread my post above. i don't want you to browse to the spot with all the .rdb files. i want you to double click the 'my computer', select the drive where the files exist and then click 'ok'. you could probably just click 'ok' after you've browsed into the location. it sounds like you are just missing the button.

does that work any better?

• 2 weeks later...

HI waltr...

I have a litlle problem.

i deleted my back up by accident. i recovered the .rdb files but i have difficulty rebuilding the backup set. I have the .rbc file in "My Documents"

i did what you sugested to Bob but wouldnt work for me. the message i get is:

"The selected disk does not contain any backup set data files. Please selest another disk."

the recovered backup set sits on the first partition of my HDD and it was originaly on the second partition. i recreated the hierarchy of the directories but on c:\ drive while the backup was originally done to d:\ drive. i cant put the backup set back to d drive cause i am not sure if the recovered files are not corrupt. in case they are, i still have to scan the d:\ drive again and restore different versions of the same files.

please HELP!!!

P.S. ....is there any software which can access .rdb files(eventually extract the data from these files)

Well after much research I am here to say I am in the same boat and utterly frustrated with Retrospect 6.0. After faithfully making backups every other day for the last 6 months and having tested several successfully, I finally fell into the other category: Failed backup.

After installing a RAID in my system I attempted to restore my C: drive as I had before and Retrospect would not allow this to happen for similar reasons that are already mentioned above. I have had two "successful" restores and Windows will not boot, I just get the normal boot screen and it seems to load then stops and sits on the blue Windows XP screen you get right before it shows your login options.

I am at my wits end after wasting about 10 hours now trying to different ways of restoring. I even had a full Retrospect disaster CD that was supposed to be my failsafe and when I boot with it it comes up asking for "member" that it cannot find, and since it boots to the restore screen under temporary OS and nothing else I assume it cannot find my One Touch II because it doesn't give me an opportunity to install the drivers necessary for the system to access it. Anyone had this type of problem who may be able to help?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Hi

The only way to open an RDB file is to first catalog it with Retrospect and then restore from it. Unfortunately it sounds like the data recovery software did not restore the files completely.

You mentioned there are multiple copies of the same file? Why is that? Are there any differences between them?

Thanks

Nate @ EMC insignia support

• 7 months later...

Ok I'm in the same boat here I have 6.3GB of data in 12 .rdb files and retrospect cannot locate them even with my help.

I do not have any other retrospect files and have failed in my attempts to repair my catalog under tools. I have tried copying the files to another disk in hopes that it would be recognized and that has failed also.

Please help - has paid tech support been able to help?

Hi,

Are you using Retrospect 7.5?

You should make sure that the files are located in the directory path Retrospect expects them to be in. For example, a backup set named Backup Set A would be located in E:/Retrospect/Backup Set A/1-Backup Set A/(rdb files). If they are in the correct path you can point Retrospect to the drive letter when attempting to rebuild the catalog (highlight drive E: and hit OK), if that fails, you can also try pointing to the directory in which the rdb files are located - 1-Backup Set A.

Foster thank you for your post.

I am on Retrospect 6.0 (RETRO I know - sorry couldn't resist!)

The program is unable to locate my .rdb files and I have moved them into other drives to try my luck without any success.

To add further complication I am on a new computer and the only files I have (besides the Retrospect 6.0 software installed) are the 12 .rbd files no other retrospect folders, files etc...

Would it help if I upgraded to 7.5 and with that get the 30 days free advanced tech support?

I just have to believe with the 6.3 GB's of Retrospect Backup Set's I have there must be a way to restore my data - is this a correct presumption? Or is this a false hope?

Thank You

I know that Retrospect 6.0 will definitely not find the files if they are not in the correct directory path. Setup the directory path as in my example and try again. If that doesn't work, get the trial for 7.5 here: http://emcinsignia.com/try/ (you can upgrade if you want to, that's your call). 7.5 is more lenient in catalog rebuilds, in the sense that you can specify the folder directly enclosing the rdb files, rather than absolutely having to have the correct folder path.

Why do you only have the rdb files? Did you have to recover them from a failed partition?

I have nothing to loose - I will try the upgrade trial.

I had a power supply failure on my pc so I lost my C: drive and by accident my backups on my Maxtor external drive were erased with the exception of a folder named "System Volume Information" which had many folders, within it and the 12 .rbd files

Keep you posted. Thx

I have read all of the problems with the .rdb file problem in the forum and I have also read the help files, but nothing seems to address the fact that whenever I attempt to access these files using Retrospect, it is only looking for .rbf and .rbc files.

I have been backing up on a Western Digital external hard drive since February and have not needed to access my files until this past week when my internal computer hard drive crashed when I was attempting to load a McAfee program. I had to reformat my hard drive and did so without my external drives connected.

Then when I attempted to bring back some files out of my external hard drive, Retrospect would tell me that there are no files in my backup location. I can see all of my files in my Windows Explorer, showing 144 files (83.0 GB) starting with AA000000.rdb - 614,408 KB, AA000001.rdb - 614,408 KB, AA000002.rdb - 614,408 KB, etc. for a total of the 83.0 GB’s.

I originally used Retrospect 6.5 and upgraded recently to 7.5, so I believe the original files were stored using the 6.5. I have even uninstalled the 7.5 to go back to 6.5 to see if that would make a difference, but it did not, so I reloaded the upgrade and updates.

Please help me if possible, because I really need those files.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I had the same problem - Retrospect unwilling to rebuild catalog files after a HD reformat.

The solution is to use Tools - Repair, as suggested above, but DO NOT browse to the .rdb files. Click "Advanced" and enter the absolute path to the backup set.

I use network backup, so I entered //NAS-xx-xx-xx/backup/Retrospect/Backup Set A/1-Backup Set A

It then rebuilt the catalog files. What a relief.

This issue needs to be dealt with - the Repair tool will only look for .rfc files.

Archived