incompatible 'supported' drive

I have a Ricoh MP7060S. This is a supported device according to the Dantz database.

I'm using a supported SCSI card (Initio Bluenote[iNI-9090U-MAC], with latest firmware).

It works (in Retrospect) under Mac OS 9.2.

The drive show up in Apple System profiler as Apple disc burning: supported

I can read discs under Mac OS X.

BUT, under Mac OS X, the Drive shows up in Retrospect as (incompatible)

So, what gives?

Can you please provide the following?

Retrospect Version and build #

RDU # (if present)

Computer Model and speed

OS X build version #

Device

Device firmware

Device interface

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Media brand and size

Other Devices

Thanks

Oh, this drive worked splendidly for some time under 9.1/9.2 with Retrospect 4.3. The firmware for the drive is the latest available (1.70). It's not media related because the same message appears even with no media in the drive. Retrospect recognises it as a burner (appropriate icon), it just refuses to use it.

That machine is not where I presently am, so I have to get the information via an ssh session.

Retrospect Version and build # Express 5.0 (?) (5.0 plus the patch)

RDU # (if present) ???

Computer Model and speed G4/466

OS X build version # 10.1.4 5Q125

Device Ricoh MP7060S

Device firmware 1.70

Device interface SCSI

Adapter Card Initio Bluenote (INI-9090U-MAC)

Adapter Card firmware SIM v2.11 -- SmartSCSI v1.05. OS X Firmware updated 12-3-01

Adapter Card driver for OS X none

Media brand and size N/A problem exists with no media present (but usually Kodak gold CD-R)

Other Devices Microtek X6L scanner

I have a similar problem, which initially caused a lot of aggravation, but finally ended happily.

I have a QPS 8x8x32 FireWire drive, marked qualified by Dantz. Indeed, it worked splendidly last year... under OS 9.

Yesterday I decided to restore 3GB of archived files from last year. First, because I had not been careful, I had to rebuild the catalog I had lost.

This was easier said than done.

First, Retrospect 5 catastrophically crashed Mac OS 10.1.4 if I so much as breathed on the mouse, causing a kernel panic and corrupting the Retro.Config file.

Second, when I managed to semi-circumvent this problem by disconnecting the mouse in between requests for the next CD (kernel panics still occurred, but much less predictably), I was able to rebuild what Retrospect 5 considered a catalog. However, when I went to use it, I found that Retrospect had failed to catalog all but 400MB of the 3GB of files; the rest were marked "Bad Header Record at...." in the operations log.

The story ended semi-satisfactorily when I tried booting into OS 9.2.2 and running Retrospect from that environment. Under OS 9 I had no crashes and no cataloguing errors. I am no finishing the restore process.

But I sure could have done without the needless aggravation caused by R5's behavior under OS X.

• 3 weeks later...

The next step is to go through some device troubleshooting. I'd also be curious to know how the drive shows up if you boot into OS 9.

Have you tried another cable from the computer to the (isolated) drive? Another terminator? If you haven't tried both of these, do so.

If you've done all of these steps with no results, try the drive connected to another computer.

I'd also be curious to know how the drive shows up if you boot into OS 9.

It shows up just fine. It appears happy with the driver and I can see backup set members.

Have you tried another cable from the computer to the (isolated) drive? Another terminator? If you haven't tried both of these, do so.

I'm not sure I have another suitable cable, I'll have to check. I know I don't have another terminator.

If you've done all of these steps with no results, try the drive connected to another computer.

Interesting assumptions you seem to be making here. I certainly don't have another Mac OS X machine lying around to make this test, especially not one with a PCI SCSI slot free, in which to put my SCSI card.

As it happens, I do have another Mac OS 9 machine, with SCSI, but as the drive used to be attached to that, and as we've just shown that Retrospect 5 (the very same copy as runs in Mac OS X) can see the drive when booted into Mac OS 9, I don't think that this tells us anything we need to know.

Under Mac OS X, Retrospect can see the drive. It reports the firmware level, and knows it is a burner. But, for reasons known only to itself, it decides the drive in unsupported. The same program under Mac OS 9 likes the drive just fine.

Retrospect knows why it won't support the drive, so surely it can be persuaded to divulge this information! (No, there is nothing in the Retrospect log).

Can you explain under what circumstances Retrospect will report that a drive is 'unsupported'?

Archived