Other OS X Tape Backup Solutions?

Since there are so many issues with scsi cards and dantz doesn't seem to want to help i am wondering if buying new hardware is the answer. perhaps we should be considering other backup solutions that work with the hardware we have. Adaptec cards, for example, are pretty industry standard especially the 29xxx series. What other tape backup solutions are out there that work under OS X?

Dantz is working closely with Apple and SCSI card vendors to ensure SCSI card compatibility under OS X. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of the SCSI card vendor to create a compatible product.

OS 10.1.3 does not yet fully support the SCSI architecture, which in turn makes it more difficult for SCSI card vendors to produce a product that will work properly in this environment.

We have posted a list of SCSI card adapters that have gone through preliminary testing under OS X, which can be found at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=osx_scsi_adapter

OS 10.1.3 does not yet fully support the SCSI architecture, which in turn makes it more difficult for SCSI card vendors to produce a product that will work properly in this environment.

Can you elaborate on that at all? It's not that I don't agree (he says, pressing the Eject button on his external SCSI burner, which ignores him under 10.1.4, just as it did under 10.1.3 and below...), but I'd be interested to know just what still needs doing.

SCSI is a work in progress under OS X. A great example would be your drive: SCSI CD Burners were not supported AT ALL under OS X until 10.1.3.

Today's release, 10.1.4, addresses SCSI card compatibility issues.

Hardware support under OS X is relatively new, compared to the release of the operating system. It's just another one if the kinks that needs to be hammered out in any new operating system.

• 3 weeks later...

Umm. Anbody got anything constructive to add?

I am really really happy with the performance of my OS X Server, but the little sighs of delight are gradually being replaced by groans of dismay, as we realise that our server can no longer be backed up.

I do not want to go back to ASIP. My only other option is to get another fast OS 9 Mac, backup to the disks on that using Retrospect and then back that Mac up to DAT as before.

I tried using an old Mac with the 29160N and our HP DAT, but backing up the hard disks of the server over the network took around a week. Useless.

We need a guaranteed sure-fire UW SCSI-3 Card that works under OS X Server 10.1.4 or higher.

I'm having great success with the following configuration:

PowerMac G4 Dual 533 (Digital Audio), OS X 10.1.4, Latest retrospect, Adaptec 29160, DLT1 tape drive. Note that Dantz says that the 29160 is not supported due to problems. Nevertheless, I've done about 100GB of backups and 15 GB of (test) restores with no problems at all. Your mileage may vary.

Dean

Just like to pass on my experiences.

I too was surprised to read that the Adaptec card (29160{N}) was not supported. So I tried anyway.

Mac OS X 10.1.4, G4 933, 512MB RAM, 2x Adaptec 29160 cards, Arena Indy 2400 12 disk RAID array, Qualstar 4210 AIT-3 library, Retro 5.xx.

OS X Server and the array via the adaptec card rocks. Retro can see the AIT unit and use it okay, but not the library.

Yet under OS 9 and Retro 4.3 the AIT and the library work just fine.

Reading some other threads I see people are claiming device support that was in Retro 4.3 being lost in Retro 5 under X. I suspect that now also from my trials..... or..... is it a SCSI card issue?

Yet to find out, but if there is anyone out there that can confirm, it would save to endless seach that may well be a waste of time.

Cheers

David

Adaptec has stated on their website that this card is unsupported under OS X:

The following products have been discontinued and a software upgrade path for these products will not be provided. With the release of Mac OS X compatible drivers for all currently shipping PCI cards we are now in a position to update all of our SCSI PCI card product kits, when this process is complete we will then be able to begin offering an upgrade program for the following unsupported cards. Please check back for details.

* PowerDomain 2940UW

* PowerDomain 2940U2W

* PowerDomain 3940UW

* PowerDomain 3944UWD

* PowerDomain 2940W

10.1.4 problems and SCSI.

As a further follow up to the above posts, I am using an APS Tech HyperDAT IV tape back-up. Initially, it was shipped with an Adaptec 29160 SCSI host adapter. This lead to the docomented " Bad backup set header found (0x81cf34f9 at 1,466,631)" error and the solution APS came up with was to exchange the card for the 39160 SCSI host adapter which seemed to solve the problem until Apple came along with it's 10.1.4 update. After solving kernel panics which ensued on rebooting the system (G4-AGP desktop) by updating the driver to the latest version from Adaptec (Vs 1.1.0) I am once again getting "Bad backup set header found (0x81cf34f9 at 1,466,631)". Interestingly enough, this only occurs when I try and back-up a windowsXP desktop to the G4, but not when I backup a macintosh computer (G3 laptop) to the G4. Any ideas as to what to do?

Archived