System Crashes Backing-up to ZIP Drive

acdouglas

Hello.

OS is Win98SE

Retrospect Pro 6.5 (with newest driver)

My normal backup is to a HD which goes flawlessly all the time, every time. I also do a specialized backup to an internal ATAPI 250MB ZIP drive which specialized backup is far less than the ZIP disc max (i.e., no changing of media required).

Problem: More than 50% of the time, the backup begins OK, and then about 50 files in, I get the system Blue Screen Of Death from which there is no recovery other than to shut down the machine, and do a cold start. Each time that happens I of course must do a RECYCLE backup to the ZIP backup set as the NORMAL backup fails (corrupted set; I forget the actual wording of the error message).

Have y'all run into this problem before, or if not, offer a guess as to what might be causing it?

ACD

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

Retrospect uses the installed windows drivers to access the disk so I doubt that is the problem. Do you have IOmega tools installed? What hard disk controller are you using? Any active virus scanning software?

Thanks

Nate

Ah! Excellent. Since Retrospect uses the Windows (Iomega) drivers for the ZIP drive, that narrows the problem down to the Iomegaware (v 4) driver.

I'll purge the Registry of all the old Iomega keys and values, and reinstall Iomegaware, and see whether that clears up the problem.

Thanks for your lightning-fast response, Nate.

ACD

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

You might also want to check DMA settings for the zip drive. If I recall correctly IDE zip drives are natively supported in Win98. You may just want to uninstall Iomega tools altogether.

Learn something new every day. I was under the impression that Iomegaware contained the driver for the ZIP drives. After reading your above note, I checked the Device Manager and saw that indeed the driver controlling the ZIP drive was native to WIN98SE. As per your advice, I uninstalled Iomegaware completely, and tried my Retrospect backup to the ZIP drive. Went without a hitch. But that's only one time (as noted, it failed only some 50% of the time). Have to see how that holds up on repeated backups.

Thanks again, Nate.

ACD

Archived