Insufficient permissions error code 1017

Tony Albano

I'm running ver 6.5 on XP home edition. Drive split from C: to H:

Any sort of back up reports, for example "Can't use Open File Backup option for HOTEL (H:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)" This is repeated for each drive.

I've read the various posts but am still confused. I'm not running a network, just a stand alone PC. I don't log on at startup as I'm the only user (shown as Administrator). The posts I've read suggest "logging on" and using the security option under configuration in 6.5. I've tried using the options shown there - no luck. It asks for password. I don't use one. I've tried leaving the password box blank - still no luck. I've even tried the tip about Retrospect launcher in Services. More confusion!!

Any help, please? Thanks in advance.

Hi

When you installed Retrospect did you choose to install the Open file backup option? If so do an uninstall and reinstall with that option turned off.

Retrospect uses a built in Microsoft API to backup open files in Windows XP. There may also be some damage to the system that is causing it to fail.

In any case try an uninstall, Reboot, Reinstall of Retrospect and see if that helps. Leave the security settings set to the "logged on user" for now. Also be sure to put back the laucher service to the way it was. Modifying it in Retrospect 6.5 only causes problems

Nate

Thanks Nate,

I'll give it a go this evening and post back to you. One point - I can't remember being given the option to exclude Open file backup during setup. Perhaps it's under Custom installation?? If I do exclude it from setup, and I guess the option won't then load, how will it be available?

I'll get back to you with the results to what you suggest in your post.

Thanks

Nate

I tried what you suggested. Regret, it didn't work.

However, I remembered reading somewhere that some backups require Volume Shadow Copying. I had this disabled in services. I re-enabled it and open file backup now works!!

Thanks for you help. Out of interest, I didn't choose open file backup at setup as you said. How does the programme still run it if I haven't loaded it.

Many thanks and I see that you provide much help to us poor souls. Keep up the good work. appl.gif

Tony

Hi

Open file backup is a piece of software that Dantz develloped to get open file backups of Windows NT and 2000 machines. Windows XP has the shaodow copy API which functions in much the same way. As a result you don't have to install the open file component on your XP system - although you could if you wanted to.

Nate

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To Tony, or Retrospect Tech-help 1-2-4

Just read your post about error code -1017, and have the same problem.

I get this error merely starting a normal (recycled) backup. The error log states:

"Can't use Open File Backup option for Drive C (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)"

You mentioned in your post:

>However, I remembered reading somewhere that some backups require Volume Shadow >Copying. I had this disabled in services. I re-enabled it and open file backup now works!!

I'm new to WinXP, (much-much different than W98). and need a reliable disaster backup soon.

Can't get past that error message. Could you post a general 'step-by-step' on how to disable 'Volume Shadow Copying'? I can't figure out how to do so.

I bought Retrospect Pro 6.5 for Windows, latest update 6.5.336.

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Archived