XP Pro Wireless Client Backup

hmseiden

Does anyone know a way in an XP Pro client to change network config for Retro purposes so that my (wife's new) lap top can be easily changed from wireless LAN connection to wired? This would make weekly Retro backups a breeze. The speed of a wired connection far exceeds the speed of the wireless access point- 802.11b.

The only way found for now is turning one setting (wireless LAN) off and the other on. I can disable wireless networking in Network Control Panel > Network Connections when doing a Retro backup and the machine is plugged in by direct LAN cable instead of it's normal wireless connections. Leaving the wired LAN turned on is no good because if there is no connection to it and Explorer last searched there for example XP says no connection exists.

In MAC OS X I can set up a hierarchy of connections in my favorite order of priority to choose the network connections I want to use. So I set the wired 10/100 BT LAN configuration as first choice, then wireless LAN (AKA Airport), then modem settings. There are choices for manual switching between these setups or automatic- I set the switching mode to automatic. That selects the correct (active/plugged in) one for my situation. Is there such a thing in XP- M$ latest and greatest OS? crazy.gif

Retro gets upset when two ports on the same machine are clamoring for attention tongue.gif

I don't think you understood my problem. I want to run Retro from a wired connection only (because of speed). When I'm on a wired 10/100MBs connection I have to turn off the wireless (maybe because of the reason you gave). I need a convenient way in XP to do that. Do you understand the problem?

Thanks for helping me make it clear,

Henry

But since Retroclient is already installed I get the already running message and can't use the command line you gave me. Shutting off from the Control Panel does no good and the program still is running. Do I have to uninstall it and then run it??

I was hoping for some XP shortcut where I could simply turn off (albeit temporarily) wireless connection and turn on the 100BT connection long enough to do the backup. This ain't it!

Archived