Linux Client doesn't backup /var/log

saeedi

We've been happily backing up one of our Linux servers and tried to restore a log file from last week. Lo and behold, no directory /var/log was ever backed up. There are other directories in /var backed up but not the log directory.

Now, this was a default install; No customizations. What gives?

Makes me wonder what else is not getting backed up.

Any clues? Thanks for any info you may shed.

- Steve

Hi

This is by design. You can define var log as a subvolume if you would like to backup its contents. This info used to be on the Dantz web site but I am having trouble finding it. By default Retrospect excludes the following on a linux client:

character device@crw-------

block device@brw-------

socket files@srw-------

fifos@prw-------

doors@Drw-------

Paths

/tmp (parent directory /@

/dev (parent directory /

/var/log (parent directory var

/var/cache (parent directory var

Nate

• 2 months later...

This is crazy! /var/log is very important. This should be noted in very large bold letters everywhere in the linux/unix threads at least. We mapped var and had a selector of All Files set, lo and behold we need some logs, oops. The All Files selector should at least override this crazy behavior!!

Hi

They are ignored because they can cause havoc when restored. I don't think you can back excluded file types. You can back up excluded folders with the subvolume method explained in this thread.

Keep in mind that Retrospect uses a file based method of Restore and requires the linx system to be up and running to do the restore. Rather than restore the files you mentioned Retrospect makes use of the ones that are on the currently installed system.

Nate

Archived