Move Retrospect config files from \Documents and Settings\?

arnstein

I installed Retrospect Pro and it creates a little nest in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect.

I see the main config file for Retrospect there, ans well as a log file. I can imagine that the log file can get pretty big.

Anyway, I'd like to move this whole nest to a subdirectory of the directory where Retrospect itself is installed.

Is this safe to do? How do I do it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 7 months later...

Quote:

arnstein said:

I installed Retrospect Pro and it creates a little nest in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect.

I see the main config file for Retrospect there, ans well as a log file. I can imagine that the log file can get pretty big.

Anyway, I'd like to move this whole nest to a subdirectory of the directory where Retrospect itself is installed.

Is this safe to do? How do I do it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would like to do this too because I have a very limited space on my C drive and my snapshots won't save (and thus the backup fail) because of disk space error.

Retrospect will not look in alternate locations for the configuration files or logs. If they are not found in the default directory Retrospect will create new ones.

Storing configuration information in this location was a requirement for becoming Windows Logo Certified and is not likely to change anytime soon.

You can redirect the All Users\Application Data folder to a different location with more space. Create the folder and move the data to it. Then change the CommonAppData value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders to point to the new location. Restart the computer and you'll be in good shape.

Archived