5.0205 vs. 5.0236 -- Windows Clients incorrect!

I've needed to revert back to 5.0.205 from 5.0.236 because a large number of Windows Clients (running 6.0) are reporting individual files as beeing many hundreds of Gigs when, in fact, they are very tiny files (ie, 12-60K word docs)

Reverting back to 5.0.205 (still under 10.2.1 now), is showing the files with their correct size *and* backing them up -- which is the critical thing.

5.0236 would not back up those files (it's giving error -39).

What's the status of this issue? (And how could it slip past Q/A? All 3 of my machines backing up Windows clients (98/ME/NT/2000/XP) are showing this.

I back up to DLT. 5.0.236 is not backing up the "wrongly sized" files in question.

Reverting back to 5.0205 backed them up.

So -- for me -- it's more than just cosmetic (probably because the actual file size scanned is different than what it *thinks* the file size is when the backup hits it...)

I need the fixes in 5.0.236 (particularly the memory issue in Backup Server mode), but I need to be assured that the files on Windows machines are getting backed up.

The reason I bring this up:

A user could *now* kill his "finder.dat" files, but there's nothing to prevent this from happening in the future.

There needs to be a mechanism -- like there seemed to be in 5.0205 -- that overlooks these files.

Or was it that 5.0.205 just skipped everything without reporting errors?

I am having a similar problem! I have one WinXP box in an office of Macs that mainly runs Peachtree accounting software, which uses .dat files to store data. Retrospect 5.0.236 incorrectly shows them (7 files) as being 337.8GB each! I have tried both the 6.0 and 5.6 clients and each operates the same.

I can't "delete" these files because they are required. It does seem to copy Peachtree backup files (.ptb) correctly, so I have the user run this backup so we have the data in some workable format. This is the only a workaround and a patch needs to be posted ASAP!

I think the problem is worse than just .dat files. I'm getting gazillions of errors from one of the Windows users for files with any suffix of

.pre

.uniq

plus some other files where the extension does not seem to be the problem.

All the files are in subdirectories off a single directory, so perhaps the problem both one of the directory as well as the files it contains.

Bill

In reply to:

I think the problem is worse than just .dat files

The problem is not with ".dat" files. The problem is with one particular file, named "Finder.dat" and only in certain situations.

>>I'm getting gazillions of errors from one of the Windows users

What are the errors?

>>All the files are in subdirectories off a single directory, so perhaps the problem both one of the directory as well as the files it contains.

Excellent theory. Does this directory contain a file named "Finder.dat"? (note: you'll have to look from within Windows; the Retrospect Browser window will not display it if it's there)

Dave

In reply to:

>>I'm getting gazillions of errors from one of the Windows users

What are the errors?

error -39 (unexpected end of file)

In reply to:

>>All the files are in subdirectories off a single directory, so perhaps the problem both one of the directory as well as the files it contains.

Excellent theory. Does this directory contain a file named "Finder.dat"? (note: you'll have to look from within Windows; the Retrospect Browser window will not display it if it's there)

All of the directories contain a Finder.dat file.

Here's a wild guess: Retrospect sees the Finder.dat file, goes looking for resource forks, which don't exist on the Windows machine, and gets itself all confused. I'm guessing this because _Icon files have troubles, files with particular names have troubles, yet some files within the directories back up just fine.

I'm guessing that the files which have no trouble are files which would have no resource forks on a Mac. Of course, this guess is based on zero knowledge of what is in a Finder.dat file, and zero knowledge of what happens when a Mac file with a resource fork is copied off a zip disk onto a Windows machine.

Bill

Bottom line: Why was this *not* an issue in 5.0.205, but is now and issue in 5.0.236?

And will there be a patch (soon?) that addresses this?

Or will there be no patch? Nobody has said anything about a patch for this specific problem on the board...

- Steve

I have just done a complete check of the windows client...there are no "finder.dat" files, yet the retrospect program still says there is 1011G to backup when there is only about 22G of data on the drive.

Also, I get about 75K lines of -39 errors.

-Ric

This problem is not just cosmetic. I back up a particular WinXP user's laptop to hard disk, and the backup fails (insufficient space) when Retrospect thinks it needs > 400GB of space. Reverting to build 205 fixes this problem, but returns the old problems of that build (broken RetroRun in particular). What's the time frame for the patch?

In Reply to:

But the problem _is_ easily avoided for now. Just delete the finder.dat files, that were probably copied unnecessarily onto the Windows machine.

But as I stated in a posting I don't have any finder.dat files, but I still have a problem...

-Ric

If I recall, MacOS puts the "FINDER.DAT" file on a DOS disk (usually a floppy) when copying files with names longer than 8.3. The FINDER.DAT file contains information to reconstruct long (in those days) Mac filenames. Resource forks were stored in a RESOURCE.FRK directory. I'm not sure why Finder.dat files would be popping up now on WinXP systems unless users were using DOS floppies to copy files from an old Mac. They don't seem to be created on our file servers (instead there are files such as .AppleFileInfo and .DS_Store, presumably containing resource fork info).

HTH,

Sridar

Yeah, it's the "hidden-ness" of these files that bite my users.

WinXP has an "advanced" option in the find that you can toggle to search for hidden files. Older versions of windows, you have to go to the View options and hit the button to make all hidden files visible before you can find them.

DANTZ: Any word on a patch for this?

• 2 weeks later...

Until there is a fix from Dantz, the easiest way to deal with the problem is to make a custom selector that does not backup files larger than your storage media, or say 2GB. I had the same problem, with a Win2000 machine with two supposedly 360GB files. The files were actually 1k, but I just created a selector that ignored files larger than 2GB, added to the scripts that backup PCs, and now I don't have a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, this problem is still happening (as I have just discovered for the first time) using 5.238 Server on OS X 10.2.2 and 6.0.11 on the Windows client. 5 files, all excel spreadsheets, all 3.0Gb in size according to Retrospect. I'm not at work so I can't check how big they really are, but this is an unacceptable issue, when is it going to be resolved, Dantz?

Cheers,

Mike

Archived