Excluding cache files vs specific files

It seems like we have a choice between specific pick criteria like "all files except cache files" or manually making our selections. I can't find a way to do both. That is, I want my selection to be:

All files except: (1) cache files, (2) files ending in *.bak, and (3) files ending in *.bk!.

Is this possible?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the problem. With Desktop I can either choose a Predefined Selector or create my own selections. But I want to start with the Predefined Selector "except cache files" and then exclude some additional files (e.g., *.bak). If I make my own selections, then the "except cache files disappears."

My problem then is: How do I manually "exclude cache files"? I don't know what all they are. I cannot tell how Retrospect defines "cache files" so I can't manually add all of them as exclusions. Also, it's tedious where there seem to be lots of "temp" directories, etc. And is pagefile.sys a "cache file'? I don't see any purpose in backing up a 500 meg pagefile.

Perhaps with the above clarification, you might have a suggestion or point to something I have missed in the manual.

Thanks.

Go to Special/Selectors, highlight "all files except cache files" and click the Duplicate button. Then Edit your new "predefined" selector list and add whatever you want.

- Steve Yates

- If we blew up the moon, would werewolves be cured?

/ Taglines by Taglinator 2.5 - www.srtware.com /

• 2 weeks later...

I tried your suggestion of duplicating and editing a script that excluded cache files. It doesn't work. The preselector doesn't show up as a list that I can find. It shows simply as "all files except cache files." To edit the selector list I have to click on "more choices." Then the "except cache files" part disappears.

I did try this just in case the exclusion was just hidden. Nope. The backup preview showed that all the cache files would be backed up.

Randy,

There is a subtle difference...my suggestion was to go to the Special tab, Selectors button. There you can duplicate the "selector" (not the script!) and edit it. I spent time trying to edit them in the script edit area also but that's the wrong path to follow.

- Steve Yates

- What if there were no hypothetical situations?

/ Taglines by Taglinator 2.5 - www.srtware.com /

Thanks. I'll try that tonight.

Also, somehow I've lost the way to preview a backup. (Or did I dream it in the first place?) There's nothing in the help screens I could find on this. Doing a preview is the simplest way to test the selectors.

Thanks to Steve and Melissa. I now have cache files plus others excluded.

I have to say I think this selector process is way too complicated. For example, I couldn't figure out why excluding a folder wasn't working. What I was doing was starting with Universal/Name, then checking Folder and putting in what most Windows users consider a folder name. However, that approach only works with Window/Path/Folder. The syntax is different with Universal/Name/Folders. Only took me a couple of hours to figure that one out.

When you want to exclude or include by file date, again you have to be very careful. You don't want to use Windows/Date because there you get "access date". This is a meaningless date that may simply mean the last time the file was copied. For a meaningful Windows date, you need the date created or modified, which you only get to in Universal/Date. Grrrrr!

Archived