Engine Seems to Hang, Backup Completes Anyways

After updating to 8.1 when I'm running a normal backup on 1 folder on a clients machine the actions pane says preparing to execute or please wait.

The client then gets an alert that the backup has completed successfully. And in the actions pane it will still show up as preparing to execute or please wait. I need to be able to know the status of my backups.

If i try to restart the engine, clicking Stop and entering my password does not actually stop the engine. I need to find alternate ways, like the activity monitor. And sometimes using the activity monitor doesn't seem to do anything either, IE the preferences pane still gives me the option to Stop Engine, and it still shows up in activity monitor.

Im at a loss.

Any Ideas?

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

I seem to have it working for the time being, after many restarts.

Here is my OSX console around the time of the issue.

7/1/09 1:05:55 PM [0x0-0x1e01e].com.apple.systempreferences[181] 2009-07-01 13:05:55.352 Retrospect[186:913] Retro Prefs Pane Helper: start_server

7/1/09 1:05:56 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[190] #3> DLLoadLib: no id resource in "/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libretrores.dylib", skipDyloCheck 0x1

7/1/09 1:05:56 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[190] #2> Command line is /Library/Application

Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RetroEngine

7/1/09 1:06:00 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[190] dag service: client connected.

7/1/09 1:06:00 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[190] dag service: client connected.

7/1/09 1:06:00 PM Retrospect[180] Connected to 127.0.0.1:22024, current version = 2

A couple of additional comments:

I, too, have seen instances where the console isn't showing the results of the backups. A quit/restart of the console grabs the current status.

As far as quitting the engine from the system preference: If backups are occurring (or something is stuck), it will take a FULL 10 MINUTES to stop the engine.

You should wait at least 10 minutes -- it should stop by then without corrupting anything (I think).