New Log

Is there an easy way to convert from .utx to .txt? I tried messing around with iconv but couldn't find the right conversion combination. I wrote a php-based script to parse the Retrospect 6 logfile and create a webpage displaying the status of the backups. I would really like to figure out how to modify the code to use Retrospect 8's logfile.

I thought the forum would like to see an example of how the log will look in our next update to Retrospect 8 which is coming soon. This should make it much easier to read.

Robin,

I like the looks, but want to know if there are plans to add some sort of filtering to the log. Case in point, I backup the email server "live" because, even at 2AM someone needs to have access to their email....

However, the various index files change from backup to compare, generating a long list of compare errors which I don't need to see (I know they are present).

While Retro should log those errors, can we find a way not to display them? Then I could spot the "real" errors much more readily.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jon

You may be able to build a custom report to help with this type of thing, but I haven't tried it yet.

Robin,

Is a custom report unique to each copy of the console or is the report stored on the engine's system and accessible by all console connections?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jon

Case in point, I backup the email server "live" because, even at 2AM someone needs to have access to their email....

Jon, although it's completely tangential to the subject of this thread, simply a "head's up" - you are guaranteed to have a corrupt restore if you ever try to restore a "live" backup of a cyrus mail database (the mailserver used by Mac OS X Server). There are several files that need to be self-consistent, and cyrus caches stuff locally (internally) for performance.

There are a limited number of ways to back up a mail server such as cyrus (and there are similar issues with backing up other database programs):

(1) stop the mail service, back up the mail server's email files, start the mail service;

(2) stop the mail service, replicate the mail server's email files, start the mail service, back up the replicated email files;

(3) add a RAID 1 mirror to your server's volume containing the server's email files, allow the mirror to build, stop the mail service, split the mirror (ensuring a consistent set of files on the split mirror), start the mail service, back up the email files on the split mirror copy.

If you've got things set up properly, with a secondary MX, then the secondary MX will catch all of the incoming email for the brief time that your primary MX is down, and then relay all of the email to the primary MX when it comes back up.

We use method (2) with the shareware/freeware "mailbfr" scripts from osx.topicdesk.com:

mailbfr

Some email server software (and database software) allow you to export a set of files for backup while the server remains "live".

Just a "head's up" so you don't end up with corrupted mail server backups. Been there, done that. You might want to test some of those backups you have been making of your "live" email server.

Russ

Case in point' date=' I backup the email server "live" because, even at 2AM someone needs to have access to their email....[/quote']

Jon, although it's completely tangential to the subject of this thread, simply a "head's up" - you are guaranteed to have a corrupt restore if you ever try to restore a "live" backup of a cyrus mail database (the mailserver used by Mac OS X Server). There are several files that need to be self-consistent, and cyrus caches stuff locally (internally) for performance.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for the info. I'm using Kerio and I suppose I really should stop, replicate, then backup the replica, however I'm not certain how long that will be an acceptable solution, though I'm thinking about just telling folks to deal with 30 minutes per day at 2AM...

Cheers,

Jon

I'm not familiar with Kerio, but it may have a mechanism for exporting a replica while live. Modern database stuff like SQL does.

Retrospect 8 needs scripting support so that external actions (such as mail database replication, etc.) can be coordinated with backups.

You may want to investigate the RAID 1 mirror split as an alternative, because that would only require shutting down the service for the instant of the mirror split (because adding the mirror and bringing it online can be done in the background prior to the split). SoftRAID has been working on adding CLI scriptability to their RAID 1 solution, hopefully "real soon, now".

That's what we do (RAID 1 mirror split) every time we do a software update to our server, so that we can fall back with minimal down time, if an update goes bad.

Good luck,

Russ