Script doesn't finish -- but not running either

We're running the latest version of Retrospect 8 (8.0.608.1) on an Intel iMac (2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo iMac running Mac OS X 10.5.6), and it's been running its nightly backup script at 10pm just fine for the last 14 days. Bu

t then, all of a sudden, yesterday it looks like it started its 10pm backup -- but it only backed up 4 of the 7 clients and then decided to stop.

BUT HERE'S THE TWIST: Retrospect has NO error reports on this, NO log entries at all on this strange behavior, NO email sent to us about an incomplete execution. In fact, the ONLY place where we can even see that this happened is by clicking on the "Past Backups" screen, and then lo and behold, we see 4 of the 7 clients listed there, showing that their backups started successfully.

I can only assume that those 4 out of 7 clients finished their backups successfully, because RETROSPECT HAS NO OTHER INDICATION that it even kicked in at 10pm last night. THE LOG DOES NOT SHOW ANY ENTIRES AT ALL FOR YESTERDAY'S BACKUP!! THE LOG DOESN'T EVEN SHOW THAT THE BACKUP STARTED AT 10PM. (It does however show the night before.)

The ONLY indication that a backup was even partially attempted is in the "Past Backups" screen.

There are NO OTHER SCREENS OR WINDOWS in the entire Retrospect application that even give an indication that a backup even started last night at 10pm. I have clicked on every single screen in the entire Retrospect interface.

Have you viewed the actual operations Log (command L).

Any entries in the OS X console when the backup "stopped" It is possible the engine crashed.

I suggest stopping and starting the engine again to be sure it is running ok.

Did it backup the first 4 clients or a random 4 clients?

Yes, that's what I'm referring to when I say the world "Log". I'm referring to the operations log at command-L. The Operations Log at command-L shows NOTHING for that particular day when it stopped in the middle of a backup. The log shows entries for the day preceding and the day following the failed backup, but NOTHING -- not even a starting time -- for the day in question. (Note that the only reason we had a successful backup the following day is because we restarted the computer.)

Yes, it backed up "the first 4 in alphabetical order", which is the ONLY WAY that Retrospect 8 allows us to backup our clients. This is totally annoying, since "Intern" is our least important computer but it is the first alphabetically in the list, and "Server" is our most important computer but it is last in the list. (Totally unacceptable for a professional backup product, but that's a completely different story.)

I don't know where I am supposed to look in the Console log. I launched Console, and clicked on "Console Messages" in the left margin. These are the Retrospect messages that appeared there on the night in question:

5/4/09 11:00:00 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.retrospect.RetroEngine[51]) Exited with exit code: 255

5/4/09 11:00:01 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[71544] #3> DLLoadLib: no id resource in "/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libretrores.dylib", skipDyloCheck 0x1

5/4/09 11:00:01 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[71544] #2>

5/4/09 11:00:01 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[71544] Command line is /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RetroEngine

5/4/09 11:00:04 PM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[71544] #2> SMTP: opening addr 67.139.134.210

It says something about SMTP, but no emails were ever sent. Is there somewhere else in Console that I am supposed to be looking for these types of error messages?

As I mentioned above, I restarted the Mac and it looks like the subsequent night's backup was okay.

Thanks,

Scott