new version driving me crazy...scripts won't run becasue "needs media"

denno

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought of something...should I create a File Media Set instead of Disk? It seems like I'd then be able to save it onto the Drobo.

P.S. When I create a File Media Set, it seems like the file is saved in the save location as the catalog. Is there a way to change this?

When I create a File Media Set, it seems like the file is saved in the save location as the catalog. Is there a way to change this?

No.

File Media Sets (and File Backups Sets before them, and File Storage Sets before them) are designed to have the data file and catalog together. In fact, in earlier versions of Retrospect, they were together in a single file (using Macintosh resource forks).

A File Media Set will not work if you separate the two files.

Dave

Max HFS+ file size is 2**63 bytes. Yes, really: see http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html

I suspect that (say) a single terrabyte file is less efficient than 1000 gigabyte files, but I don't know if you'd notice the difference in practice.

The advantage of a Disk Set is that it splits the backup into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can copy those pieces to other media (DVD, hard drive, whatever), for extra protection or for off-site storage. A Disk Set can also span volumes.

Another disadvantage of a File is that it "puts your eggs in one basket," so to speak. If that file gets corrupted, you're dead. With a Disk Set, if one file gets corrupted, you lose whatever's in that file, but the rest of the backup should be okay. However, that may be an illusion. After all, anything that clobbers a disk will probably take out all the files on that disk.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The real answer to this problem is to reformat the Drobo to 8 terabytes. You can then use the disk option, not the file option. I had the same problem with my Drobos, and fixed it by reformatting. You of course have to start from scratch in backing anything up to disk, but it works. Someone on another thread discovered this. Apparently a disk size cap of 8 TB was coded into Retrospect 8. Anybody know why?

Apparently a disk size cap of 8 TB was coded into Retrospect 8. Anybody know why?

No, it was a bug, pure and simple, and it was fixed by Retrospect 8.1.626, which has been confirmed as fixing this bug. Note that there are certain steps that have to be followed, as given in the Release Notes, in order to make the larger volumes work after being used with the bad prior versions.

If you are seeing this symptom now, it's possible that you are seeing some other bug that is exhibiting the same symptom, but the >= 8 TB bug has been fixed. Perhaps your engine / console are out of date. What versions of each are you running?

Note that the original poster was reporting an issue almost 8 months ago (April 2009) with Retrospect 8.0; there have been many bug fix releases since then, and it's now up to Retrospect 8.1.626. It's not perfect, but it is getting better as the program matures.

It's really not productive to respond to reports about bugs that are 8 months old and which have been fixed, unless it's clear that the poster is seeing the same symptom with a current release version.

Also, this thread is a perfect example of the problems caused when the poster doesn't explicitly state what version of the software is exhibiting the problem. "New version" conveys no information whatsoever months later, after subsequent bug fix releases have arrived.

Russ

Getting this too on [color:red]latest Retrospect 8[/color] with 10.5.8.
Also, this thread is a perfect example of the problems caused when the poster doesn't explicitly state what version of the software is exhibiting the problem. "New version" conveys no information whatsoever months later, after subsequent bug fix releases have arrived.

Nor does "latest Retrospect 8".

Russ

Getting this too...

Since you're appeared to have jumped into the thread with virtually no information, _is_ the second member of your Media Set ("2-Bigbrother...") actually on the same physical drive ([color:purple]/Volumes/BACKUP/[/color]) as the first Member?

Two thoughts come to mind:

First, that's not how Disk Media Sets are designed to be used,

and second, if the two are _not_ on the same physical drive you need to tell Retrospect where Member #2 actually resides.

(note; expanding all columns to display all available information before taking the screen shot is a pretty helpful thing to do)

Dave

Really sorry for the fast "jump"!

Yes, i did jump on the thread without reading it all, the subject caught my attention since im having a lot of trouble with my Disk Sets.

How should i use Disk Media Sets (or backup to disk)? I thought this was the way?

I have 4 drives with several Disk Sets, having a lot of problem with full media sets even theres lot of space left, both on drive and Disk Media set.

I've updated the pict above.

So, i look in my folder on BACKUP:

mediaset.png

I try to point 2-.... to the right set:

mediaseterror.png

This i'm constantly fighting. Don't know why Retro is forgetting the path or why i cant add it again, or whats wrong with the set (broken, locked etc). Maybe the sets break when Retro crash, it usually do after some time (maybe i'm doing something wrong or its buggy : )).

Sorry again for just jumping in.

Update:

I removed the Mediaset, created a new mediaset (same name), rebuilded the mediaset and all works fine.

Today i got "Waiting for media..." again. Put lost on member 2-, tried to add, edit the 2 members and suddenly a new member was adde and the backup continued.

Why isnt the catalog deleted when i delete a media set? Should be to avoid manual work.

Edited by Guest

Why isnt the catalog deleted when i delete a media set?

Kidding, right?

You don't "delete" a Media Set from within Retrospect; you can Remove it from the list of known sets, but the data and catalog are untouched by this operation.

And that's a Good Thing.

Can't see your embedded pictures today, [color:purple]dev.fb.se[/color] appears to be down, so I really don't know what you are doing or seeing.

Dave

Hi Dave.

No, im not kidding : ).

If i delete a mediaset i never want to se it again since i will create a new one to replace or just delete it, never to be used again. I find it a bit confusing deleting the mediaset in Retro but the catalog is still there. BUT i can understand the good thing about it.

The actual Media Set-files, where the actual backup is, should not be deleted by Retro of course.

This thing to be able to add a members to Media Set: I have never been able to do that! Only way is to rebuild. And when my last three went stale the only way was to delete the mediaset (no, i couldn't use the original Media Set, got error every time i tried to add a member), create a new Media Set (with the same name and there is the catalogproblem), add members of the old Media Set, rebuild - online.

After this operation every mediaset went online again and has been working since then.

Whats the cause of broken mediasets? I pretty sure it has to do with Retrospect hanging and restarting. Often by it self but sometimes by me. Now i know that stopping the server can take 10 minutes, often several minutes.

p