Subvolume issue(?)

Markus77

We have a problem with at least two scenarios, producing an error messagebox as follows:

Title: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"

Program: [Exe path]Retrospect.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Scenario 1: New backup

When we try to define source and click "Create subvolume", we receive the error messagebox.

Scenario 2: Execute script

Backup using a client works.

As soon as an attempt is made to access a subvolume on the local machine, the messagebox is shown.

So the common denominator seems to be subvolumes. Any thoughts?

Retrospect SBS 7.6.123

Windows 2003 SBS SP2

• 3 weeks later...
I can back up the drive manually

What does that mean? Using explorer and copy the visible (non-system files) over to another hard drive? That would be a file copy, not a backup.

I can back up the drive manually, so why should Retrospect not be able to?

There are numerous ways to scan a hard drive for files/folders. Retrospect happens to use a way that doesn't work on your drive.

I can back up the drive manually

What does that mean? Using explorer and copy the visible (non-system files) over to another hard drive? That would be a file copy' date=' not a backup.[/quote']

Yes, that was what i meant. File copy is what I temporarily have had to resort to. My point was that the file system seems quite accessible to the OS.

I can back up the drive manually, so why should Retrospect not be able to?

There are numerous ways to scan a hard drive for files/folders. Retrospect happens to use a way that doesn't work on your drive.

I didn't mean to sound hostile, I appreciate you guys trying to help, it's just that it is frustrating not being able to pinpoint the problem.

As I am sure you realize, given the critical nature of a working backup solution it is not really acceptable for me that Retrospect happens to use a way that doesn't work on my drive.

So, any thoughts on what state of the drive would produce this behaviour given the way that Retrospect does scan the drive? The error message doesn't really help me much.

No, I don't think you sounded hostile.

Yes, I know that non-working backups are frustrating.

My point was that file copying doesn't read the file system as thorough as Retrospect.

I really thought CHKDSK would fix the scanning problems.

Do you anything more powerful for checking disks? Back in the old days it was Norton Utilities. Is that still as good as it was?

• 3 weeks later...

I have checked the logs more thoroughly now and from the select events below you can see that Backup stopped working after the first time version 7.6.111 was first launched. I am therefore quite confident that the disk is not the problem.

Our last working version was "version 7.5.387, Driver Update and Hot Fix version 7.5.13.100".

What was the breaking change in 7.6.111 that made our installation stop working?

Do you need any further information for troubleshooting the issue?

Do you have any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Should we revert to the last working version?

How would we best go about doing so?

... Successful backups

2008-12-11 02:11 Script "1-Tisdag" completed successfully. (Activity Monitor Events tab)

2008-12-11 08:47 Retrospect version 7.5.387 launched. Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.13.100 (Operations Log)

2008-12-11 08:47 Downloading installer Retro-EN_7_6_111au.exe. Launching installer Retro-EN_7_6_111au.exe. Execution completed successfully. (Operations Log)

... Successful backups

2008-12-16 02:22 Script "1-Mandag" completed successfully. (Activity Monitor Events tab)

2008-12-16 09:09 Retrospect version 7.6.111 launched (Operations Log)

2008-12-16 22:45 Script "1-Tisdag" appears on Activity Monitor History tab, but no completion event appears on Activity Monitor Events tab (expected at ~2008-12-17 02:20)

2008-12-17 09:01 Execution terminated enexpectedly, possibly due to a power failure or system crash. (Activity Monitor Events tab)

2008-12-17 21:20 Downloading installer Retro-EN_7_6_123au.exe. Launching installer Retro-EN_7_6_123au.exe. Execution completed successfully. (Operations Log)

2008-12-17 21:29 Retrospect version 7.6.123 launched. Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.6.2.101 (Operations Log)

2008-12-18 07:02 Execution terminated enexpectedly, possibly due to a power failure or system crash. (Activity Monitor Events tab)

2008-12-19 09:49 prodserver: updated from version 7.5.116 to 7.6.107 (Operations Log)

From here on the Activity Monitor Events tab is just full of errors: "Execution terminated enexpectedly, possibly due to a power failure or system crash"

The records on the history tab of the Activity Monitor show Errors/Warnings = 0, 0 Performance = 0,0 Elapsed = 00:00:00